1989 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Wont Start

So I recently got an 89 Audi 200 turbo quattro 10v. I cant get it to start. Bought the car thinking there was a bad wire with the CPS, but found corrosion in the ecu. Then I thought it was a bad ECU from the corrosion and a possible short, so i got a new ECU. Still nothing. It's not getting spark, and I cant tell if it gets fuel or not. I tested each wire in the CPS, and the CPS. Each wire tested out good, no voltage drop or anything. The CPS is brand new and tested good. What next? I dont quite know what to do next. I might potentially get a new bay harness and swap them.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked TDC with the flywheel mark?

Have you tested the engine speed and ignition timing sensors?

Misaligned distributor and poor/no signals from those two sensors will not let the engine control unit permit spark.

You should be able to put a fuse in the fuel pump relay to determine whether the fuel pump runs when the key is on.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Have you checked TDC with the flywheel mark?

Have you tested the engine speed and ignition timing sensors?

Misaligned distributor and poor/no signals from those two sensors will not let the engine control unit permit spark.

You should be able to put a fuse in the fuel pump relay to determine whether the fuel pump runs when the key is on.
Distributor should be aligned, I had it at a shop and they told me it was all good. New engine speed sensor, and I tested both sensors and they're both good. My guess is it's either something with the wiring or possibly the coil. Not a clue whatelse it could be
Old 10-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So it did diagnostic and it gave me blink pause blink, blink, blink, blink. which is 2111 right? Anyway book says that is something with the engine speed sensor. It's a brand new sensor, and I checked the wires for continuity, and put voltage through them and there was no drop. Also have a new ECU which i still isnt starting. I'm clueless on what to do
Old 10-20-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fattyalx
So it did diagnostic and it gave me blink pause blink, blink, blink, blink. which is 2111 right? Anyway book says that is something with the engine speed sensor. It's a brand new sensor, and I checked the wires for continuity, and put voltage through them and there was no drop. Also have a new ECU which i still isnt starting. I'm clueless on what to do
Since the car's not running.....you'll get no speed sensor reading, hence the code. So that say's you've got no codes, so think basic...spark,fuel. Spray starting fluid to verify spark....if no spark, check grounds.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by toml99
Since the car's not running.....you'll get no speed sensor reading, hence the code. So that say's you've got no codes, so think basic...spark,fuel. Spray starting fluid to verify spark....if no spark, check grounds.
Well I just got a new engine harness. Hopefully if I replace that I'll replace a broken wire somewhere in the process. Thanks I'll check grounds and use starting fluid tomorrow!
Old 10-21-2015, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm getting spark sometimes. But not all the time. I was able to start it with starting fluid, reved it to 2k and then it died. I put a fuse in the fuel pump relay with the key on and it sounds like It's pumping fuel. What else should I check and what should I do?
Old 10-24-2015, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Found that the cps fuse was a 5 amp instead of a 15. Swapped it and started getting spark. So it wants tone start, it fires a bunch but doesn't start. Getting codes 2112, 2113, and 2221. I'm thinking a missing vacuum line somewhere is the cause, as that's what 2221 is and I can't find any missing
Old 10-26-2015, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fattyalx
Found that the cps fuse was a 5 amp instead of a 15. Swapped it and started getting spark. So it wants tone start, it fires a bunch but doesn't start. Getting codes 2112, 2113, and 2221. I'm thinking a missing vacuum line somewhere is the cause, as that's what 2221 is and I can't find any missing
After all the attempts, make sure the spark plugs are still clean.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GroupBquattro
After all the attempts, make sure the spark plugs are still clean.
Still cant get it to start. Tried a smoke test and didnt find any leaks. Plugs that I pulled out, not all of them just cylinders 1 and 2, were black. What next?

Quick Reply: 1989 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Wont Start