1989 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you'd be getting just the chip, and you'll solder it in yourself, or the whole ECU ? And how much is he asking, not that prices would be comparable to what they were back in the mid 90s - 1.9 bar plus wastegate spring was $800, I forgot if the ECU was provided, or it was the customer's. So, about your cold start, to keep it from dying, you keep your foot on the gas then ? And once it warms up, is it all normal ? How about warm starts ? I had an ISV with a mind of its own, it would throw the idle up to 3500, then back to normal whenever it felt like it, sometimes even at stoplights, folks thought I was revving to invite them for a race... I ended up disconnecting the ISV altogether and I am doing just fine, have to warm it up first thing in the morning though. And about the light bar, even though you may not drive it as hard as I used to, keep an eye on the temp gauge especially in the summer. I tried to put the lights so that they obstruct

as little as possible

1997 Olympus Rally
Old 02-22-2016, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GroupBquattro
So you'd be getting just the chip, and you'll solder it in yourself, or the whole ECU ? And how much is he asking, not that prices would be comparable to what they were back in the mid 90s - 1.9 bar plus wastegate spring was $800, I forgot if the ECU was provided, or it was the customer's. So, about your cold start, to keep it from dying, you keep your foot on the gas then ? And once it warms up, is it all normal ? How about warm starts ? I had an ISV with a mind of its own, it would throw the idle up to 3500, then back to normal whenever it felt like it, sometimes even at stoplights, folks thought I was revving to invite them for a race... I ended up disconnecting the ISV altogether and I am doing just fine, have to warm it up first thing in the morning though. And about the light bar, even though you may not drive it as hard as I used to, keep an eye on the temp gauge especially in the summer. I tried to put the lights so that they obstruct

as little as possible

1997 Olympus Rally
Uh 160 for the chip itself that you've gotta solder in on your own, then buy a separate spring and you're good to go. He has another chip that he offers that's 18 psi or higher but you need a new Map sensor I think. Uh I got a new ISV and same thing, starts then dies. In the warm, I rev it and once it warms up it's fine. But in below 40ish weather I try to rev it then itll die. Starting it shows on my boost gauge that it has enough vacuum to open up the injectors. I'm thinking about going through the airbox and cleaning the valve and the arm and everything and lubricating things if possible. Gonna try that out either today or tomorrow or wednesday, depending on weather. I'm thinking Coolant temp sensors may be bad?
Old 02-22-2016, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am wondering (since I never had the problem, if you disconnect the coolant temp sensor and see if it makes any difference- if there is none, then it's not working) And here's an older thread, seems a bit like your issue, hope you find something helpful in it.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...lease-2190446/
Old 02-24-2016, 02:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am wondering (since I never had the problem, if you disconnect the coolant temp sensor and see if it makes any difference- if there is none, then it's not working) And here's an older thread, seems a bit like your issue, hope you find something helpful in it.

That page seemed to help a little! I think coolant temp sensor is the issue. I just ordered two last night. So hopefully that'll do it!! Still don't know what's going on with my car and I just wanna drive it.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

BTW, just ordered that chip I was talking about. And all of my EFI goodies come today thankfully. Hope to go EFI very soon
Old 04-07-2016, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fattyalx
BTW, just ordered that chip I was talking about. And all of my EFI goodies come today thankfully. Hope to go EFI very soon
Cool, so the chip would get you 1.6 or 1.9 bar ? In any case, make sure you start using premium gas since anything less could give you detonation, and you don't want that.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cool, so the chip would get you 1.6 or 1.9 bar ? In any case, make sure you start using premium gas since anything less could give you detonation, and you don't want that.
1.9 BAR! Yeah I know! I run premium in it already just to be careful haha
Old 04-08-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

1.9 is the way to go ! You'll love it