1990 Audi V8 Quattro ABS problem

Old 09-11-2003, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Audi V8 Quattro ABS problem

Anybody know why the "antilock off" light would come on without being turned on...antilock switch doesn't seem to be working.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 1990 Audi V8 Quattro ABS problem

Check your fuses. If not could be a faulty ABS controller/relay. Under the drivers side dash in most Type 44s.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If the fuse on the relay is blown it'll throw out that warning light or relay may be lose in panel, I just pulled mine, long story short is I got tired of hit the bloody dash switch due to the fact that the speed sensors are reading the splines on my new replaced axle wrong! PITA!
Old 09-12-2003, 03:11 PM

If it is the fuse, where is it located? I checked all the fuses on the passenger side.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ABS relay is located in the Aux relay panel 1 and is the second from the lower right. There are two rows of relays and it is on the bottom row. The two slot to it left are open. The panel is located underneath the passenger side carpet.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:17 PM

Default Done...thanks for the info. on the location of the ABS relay audiqv8..

Found the relay switch easily after your description...relay switch was fine but the 10 Amp fuse on top was blown. Replaced it. No more "anti-lock off" light showing up. Thank god. At least that saves me a trip to the butcher Audi dealerships in my area...there are three of them and they have all screwed us over...so lots of thanks goes out to all who gave suggestions.

p.s. Any info. on how to replace the seals on the power steering pump...it's leaking and the power steering high pressure hose has been replaced already. Have to keep adding P/S fluid every time it gets stiff (approx. 4-5 days depending on the amount of driving). gets better after adding the fluid but still not 100%. Any suggestions would help...thanks again.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default ABS not working.

Hi, i have an Audi V8 4.2 276bhp and the ABS is not working. The ABS light is not on, and its just not working, i replaced the original brakes for brembos, and everything seems to be working, but the ABS. At first there was air in the breaklines, we aired that out, ran a litre of breakfluid trough the lines, and everything seemed okay, as soon as i got on the road and breaked hard, it slid. It just went full brakes as soon as i braked. I cant figure out whats wrong. Could it be because i didnt put the UFO-s back on? Can anyone help, I could like to get them working before winter, we get snow in Estonia and its not good if i dont have ABS. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nice monster
p.s. Any info. on how to replace the seals on the power steering pump...it's leaking and the power steering high pressure hose has been replaced already. Have to keep adding P/S fluid every time it gets stiff (approx. 4-5 days depending on the amount of driving). gets better after adding the fluid but still not 100%. Any suggestions would help...thanks again.
Best write-up of resealing a PS pump is in the Bentley for 100/200 models through 1991. Images of the pages start at PS Pump 48_27_28.JPG photo - kneale_brownson photos at pbase.com and continue for four more "next page" taps.

Removing the pump from the V8 can be a trick too. If you pull the electric fan (just lay it as far toward the cowl as the wire will allow), you MAY be able to bring the pump out of its cage after disconnecting the hoses and all the bolts. I can't remember, but it might be necessary to also take the pulley off the pump to get it out.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Best writeup on rebuilding pump was written by Kneale.....You motivated me to do the first, and have rebuilt 5 or so now. On removal on V8 only remove the 12 oclock and 6 oclock bolts on mount...you need to remove pulley first. Pretty sure I've got 2 of the drag link sockets that I modified to remove the x-caps(loaned 1 out and finally got it back)....if you're doin this(and you should) I'd be happy to sell you one of them for $10 or whatever it cost me. To be thorough, you want to do the front seal under triangle pulley mount(even though it's not under much pressure, and never actually leaks from there), which requires a press, and last one I did hit 30+ tons on friend's massive old press(terrified everyone in the shop when it went loose). If you did all the rest of the seals, you could probably skip that one, but then you'll be the 1%er that leaks out of front......X-caps are basically "head gaskets" for pump, and are always the culprit. I've got 3 dead pumps if you've got a scored piston. Another note, pretty sure some of the pistons are longer than others, so take notes/number....Last complete seal kit I got was something like $4. Most satisfying thing you can do to that car moneywise.....Tom