1991 Audi V8 Quattro temperature light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Audi V8 Quattro temperature light flashing

Hey guys, just got myself a '91 V8 Quattro, 3.6, automatic. Every now and then the temperature light will flash and I don't know where to start. Could you guys help me out?

Thanks,
Joel
Old 04-13-2015, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome aboard the good ship V8Q, Commander Peppy.

I think we all would need more information about your V8,
How many miles?
What does the Temp gauge read when it's warmed up?
Does it actually overheat?
Have you checked the coolant level in the expansion tank?
Is there a history from the PO of temperature issues?

Maybe a list of other things that are not working quite right, but don't seem to be a big deal to you right now. The cooling system is basically like any other vehicles cooling system, but there are several temp sensors on the engine and radiator.

Bob
Old 04-13-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

215,023 miles, Bob. Although the odometer hasn't moved since I drove it back from St. Louis. All the gauges read right, temperature just below 100*C. Oil temp seems normal too. No overheating, but it does seem to burn a little something under a hard launch. This is my first Audi so I'm just asking the professionals before I break something.

Thanks,
Joel
Old 04-13-2015, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you are getting the symbol of a thermometer in water on the Auto Check display and your temp gauge is normal, then check your coolant level in the expansion tank. Also check the connection at the bottom of the tank. If the coolant is dirty or not the Audi approved G12 then a coolant flush is in order.
Normal operating temp is about 87 degrees Cent. So you appear to be OK there.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Alright I'll have to check that! Thanks Bob! Anything else I should watch out for? Any tips?
Old 04-13-2015, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you are really looking for another V8, and you are the type of person that would own a V12 BMW, (glutton for punishment). Then look for a well maintained V8 5 speed. They are more fun to drive, (I have not driven one) and just as challenging to own/maintain.

Key words, Well maintained.

Bob
Old 04-16-2015, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Joel, welcome to the tribe. Like bob said, check reservoir level and if it's full, could be level sending unit in reservoir that autocheck listens to. Or, if all seems fine, could be instrument cluster is just telling you to check the coolant. The instrument clusters have known issues(bad solder joints/connector corrosion/crack in thin part of board where ground trace is, so if it's full and gauges read fine, it's probably one of those 2 and meaningless. The autocheck on my 5-speed freaks out when I hit a bump/routinely for no reason and I know it's the IC, so I just disregard. If the coolant tank is dark and looks original, check it for cracks as they just fall apart eventually(just happened to friend's son in a V8 I sold him). Not sure if dealer still has them, but last new one I bought was under $100 and had the float sensor and a new cap. Most of the V8's I've had in my possesion had them replaced at some point.
Since this car is new to you, first thing I'd do is verify the tranny fluid. Car came "filled for life" with original Dexron, and as such, many got neglected, and all 3 parts cars were due to neglected tranny. If you have no dipstick(didn't come with one originally), easiest way to verify/check nastiness of fluid is drain pan and refill w/4 quarts(whole system holds 10 quarts). Many owners did the "hillbilly" flush by repeating this process a few times with driving between which can work fine if you've got no tranny issues. If your fluid looks nasty and you want to keep the car, best thing to do is pull the 2 cooler lines @ radiator/helper starts car and shuts off as soon as it stops pumping/pull pan/replace filter/clean pan/refill with 10 quarts of a quality synthetic ATF. If you cut the filter open and see what's inside, you will be happy you did it. I've got pics, just not on new computer yet. Tranny issues are the weak link on the Auto cars and have killed most of them as the ordeal to replace even with a free used tranny makes most give up. I've pulled 4 motor/tranny's, but haven't had the opportunity(yet) to have to put it back in....Ha.
Timing belt interval is 60K/7yrs which has also led many to give up. Unless the PO can verify when, then you can pull the drivers cover off(remove 2 -10mm bolts holding fan/lift away/remove 2 allens(6 or 8mm) and pull cover off to see belt.
That all said, if your coolant level is fine, all is good....Tom