3.6 pt 32v rebuild & boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.6 pt 32v rebuild & boost

Hey guys after being a long time b5 guy I've finally gotten into a 1993 v8 quattro type 44. and I also have two parts cars all 1991-93 v8 quattros! I have parts feel free to ask! Anyway!

Being new to 4 valves I've been having a hard time figuring out the specs on the lower rotating assembly of a 3.6 ..I know rods are typicall vw/audi 2 bolt main 154mm 21mm wrist pin but what about pistons rings??? ..information is readily available for ABZ AHC and other 32-valve 4.2 but the 3.6 has been difficult to find..

I recently ordered 2 16v turbo manifolds and plan to run twin 3076 with external WG's.. I know ausil sleeves can't be honed so would want a full forged new rotating assembly. I've done lots of research. Just looking for input thanks guys!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Fry1nDutchman; 10-06-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

FYI the V8q is the D11 chassis not t44 otherwise carry on. One question though if you are going to the trouble of turbocharging the V8 why not start with a 4.2?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Yoda!

well i know that the 3.6 passenger head is identical to a mk2 16v besides bucket style lifters and oil passages right? so i know my turbo manifolds will fit. i would love to start with an abz but to my knowledge the 16v manifold wont be a direct fit due to displacement differences? i could be wrong. if i was confident enough in my welding i would have already started with a 4.2 ..and i always thought that the v8 quattros despite being the d2's grandfather still rolled off the type 44 asembly line??

my heads are currently being hot tanked and then rebuilt by a friend gerrard who has re built plenty of abh's and pt's.. id like to not dissasembly my block untill i can get replacement rods pistons thrust bearing rod bearings etc.

depending on the compatability of other 32v parts i may also chose to use ays d2 s8 parts & etc. BUT i still have much more research to do. please anyone who can point me in the right direction chime in! knowledge is power! learning from mistakes is how we grow!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Same questions, answers with details would be appreciated
Old 10-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im planning on a similar project here over the next year.
I'm going to be putting a 3.6 into a 84 4000 quattro.

Are you going to stick with the twin distributors? Or are you going to go with coil packs and fuel managment? I've found on here somewhere (lord knows where by now) a guy that had used LS1 coils and I think mega squirt.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

The only source for rods for 3.6 that I know of(not something I've ever wanted to look for), is 034. They've got a set of forged rods for something like $1800. Pretty sure I recall nobody has lower bearings themselves, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Would love to see someone successfully do the twin turbo thing, as all that I know of have blown up.....Good luck on your quest. Tom
Old 10-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i belive that thread was this one!!
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ished-2753000/

i plan on using 3.0 avk 4 pin coils and making my own harness, ive done the icm delete on my 30v 2.8 so i know i can make it work.. im going to run vems, theres tons of support!! i have heard too many crank trigger horror stories with audi 32v v8's and MS Lmao!!

im aware of the paul rauter rod set. "specifically balanced" for the v8 cranks rod journals. i wonder if 30v rods are a direct fit? they share the same legnth and wrist pin.. this saturday the heads will be done being rebuilt and hopefully my arp head studs will be in! im going to be borrowing a blown set of t4's from a friends 2.7t for mock up purposes.

before you guys chime in.. i know i need atleast a .60 a/r & external WG for the real thing

Last edited by Fry1nDutchman; 10-11-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Finally Back after dealing with a bad trans on my b5. i had her on the lift and i tried spinning any of the wheels there was a horrible chatter coming from inside the trans. Clutch pedal still functioned, and still went into gear. But When Driving it showed the same symptoms as a dropped axel.. plus alot of chaterring. i suspect a spun bearing on the input shaft?

i was finally able to get the heads, which i still have to put the cams in the passenger head and get it all lined up on some spare junkyard 16v studs! On the driver head cylinder 8 is on the intake stroke on the driver head! ..and much to my surpise the manifolds mounted perfect!! It cleared the frame rails but im not sure what size turbos will fit. Defintely not a hoslet hx or garret like i had anticipated. might be using a td04 and snipping the actuator and welding the WG..

Next purchases:
adjustable 16v cam gears
ARP head studs

and slowy gather more after that.

one final question 16v cams will not work because of differences in the firing order??

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Found this link tucked away in a folder....As I recall, there was a Youtube of this car running poorly and shooting big flames out tailpipe. Circa 2006 or so. Not much info, but cool looking intake. Tom
Old 10-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by toml99
Found this link tucked away in a folder....As I recall, there was a Youtube of this car running poorly and shooting big flames out tailpipe. Circa 2006 or so. Not much info, but cool looking intake. Tom
i cant find the hyperlink! please post it up thanks tom!

Quick Reply: 3.6 pt 32v rebuild & boost