Blown Head Gasket....ANything to do "while I am there"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:44 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blown Head Gasket....ANything to do "while I am there"?

Hi.
A couple of days ago my head gasket on the 200 10V went.
I was on a business trip and my father needed the car, so he took it. He calls me talking about a big cloud of smoke coming from the front when he came to a stop on a red light.
Anyway: First thing noticed ( we thought it would stop there at first) Heater valve was opened apart....SO, because he drove once he saw the smoke about 50 feet or so just not to be in the middle of the road.....we said "good lord", it must be that.

Day after, mechanic calls me and tells me about the blown head gasket.

Opinions please????

There are a couple ( actually 3 ) possibilities: Since the car was moving and the heater valve is "down there", he didnīt see liquid dripping or smoke as he was driving. Then, emptied the circuit and Headgasket blew.

Another one: Head gasket blew and because of the pressure, it went to the weakest point at that time ( heater valve). I believe is the original one ( 27 years old).....

Another third one: In the last couple of months, I had to add some coolant about once per month or so ( very little). I think there was a leak somewhere as no signs of head gasket going bad ( good start, strong running).....and then, it let all coolant out, head gasket went and so did the heater valve.....

Anyway: I donīt see on option 2 how would this happened. Engine was completely rebuilt about 5 years ago and has run roughly about 8000 milles, no more. However, At that time, I installed a GTQQ stage 1 ECU and spring, running max at 1.9 Bar ( shown on the trip computer, so about 0,9 bar overpressure). I don't usually drive hard, very rarely I would see the 1,9 on the trip computer. Could that have been the cause? The boost pressure in there?

Anyway, while I am re doing the head gasket, anything worth looking at while it is out? things that would need complicated access and could go wrong?

By the way, what p***s me off is that I switched the entire cluster about 2 weeks ago for a ( supposively ) perfect working one. Previous one I had did show the little dynamic symbol when running out of coolant.....This one, I tested it ( unplugging the sensor on the lower part of the coolant bottle ) and short circuiting it.....It didnīt work.......The guys who sold me the cluster said it did work when he had it.......How can that be tested?

Thanks for any comment.......all of them are welcome.
Regards