Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:01 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Desperate seeking answers on my Gamma CC Radio

Hi all.
On my 200 20V I have this set up:
Audi Gamma Compact Cassette Head Unit ( BUT "BOSE" IS NOT WRITTEN ANYWHERE), just plain Gamma.
Then, the car has the speaker BOSE set-up: 2 fronts, 2 backs. Door cards are Bose, everything is there.

Now, I had a big POP turning on and off the radio or changing stations on the radio ( THIS, only on the back ones). The sounds was OK. Then, I sent them to BOSE Corporation for a full refurbishment...I had just tried them and I am still getting this big POP sound.

So, what's wrong? Do I need a proper Audi Gamma BOSE? I don't understand how can there be a std Audi head unit ( Plain Gamma, not Bose), with these speakers.

And what is p***ing me off is that I am thinking that just when trying them, the POP sound came up because the head unit has just burnt some new components on the amps??? Can that be? ....Sound still great though...

Any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited by OMP; 04-09-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless Bose did something wrong rebuilding your amps(let's guess no), then it's likely your head unit. I've got a head unit that when the bass **** is moved, sounds like both rear speakers just blew. Had another from a parts car that just made crackly noises. Good head units with radio code seem to be a bit scarce these days. Pretty sure the GammaCC is the same unit whether or not is say's Bose on the front. My good one is a GammaCC, but does say Bose. Good luck, Tom

Last edited by toml99; 04-09-2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-10-2014, 01:51 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Tom...

Now this is interesting: "Pretty sure the GammaCC is the same unit whether or not is say's Bose on the front"....

How can that be?

Anyhow, I think I am going to start looking for a good, trusted BOSE Head Unit, or unless to try it out....

Does anyone have a proper BOSE HU?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I stand corrected...my long gone '93 Pearl had a unit that didn't say "Bose" on faceplate but after looking @ pics, was probably the Delta. Here's the bible if you haven't seen it.....Good luck with your search. Tom

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/radios.html
Old 04-10-2014, 07:48 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the tip.

I might have found a good, Gamma BOSE unit, but it has no code.
It comes from an already replaced unit in the car.

So, million dollar question ( I have searched a lot but haven't found any specific answer for this). Can the radio be unlocked any "hardway"? By passing the code, I mean, so it wouldn't have a code at all, but wouldn't bother me that match.

If not, and WITHOUT the VIN number from car, can the Code be had from any source? ( Dealer, somewhere else)? Would this work with the radio's serial number and part number ( or any other combination )?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also found this, since afaik, the dealer won't do this anymore, at least my local dealer. You need the VIN of car that stereo was originally installed in.

http://www.radio-code.com/Audi-Pay-Page-radio-code.htm
Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

WOW!!! 135 bucks???
Sure sounds interesting, but expensive.

I think there is a logic based on the serial number of the radio, so I am going to be searching for other ( cheaper ) sources....

Maybe even the dealer? Is the dealer asking the VIN number from the car because of some technical relation with the radio code, or just because they want to be sure about where the radio comes from?

I do have a close dealer in which I know people that could help me out, for sure....
Old 04-10-2014, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ha, I didn't look @ what they were charging....$135!.....NFW. Think the Alpine/4 speakers that are in the 5-speed were something like $250. My local dealer told me a few years ago that they purged all the data from anything that was 20yrs old(or something like that), so I couldn't get the service records for a car that was given to me ('90V8) that they sold to them in '93 used w/18K and was serviced there ALWAYS till they refused to work on it/older vehicles(about 8 yrs ago). The That included radio codes that were tied to the VIN for "security" purposes. Luckily in my case, the code was written on the back of head unit, which with all the refurbished units, was common. AOA dumped all the "refurbished" head units a few years back for $75(maybe $25, can't recall)/each, and I foolishly didn't stock up.....someone did as they disappeared quickly. Pretty sure the code on refurbs was 1000. Regardless, the dealer used to only be able to look up the radio code by VIN, so if you are looking @ used units, there's the problem....BTDT. You'll find no shortage of used head units on Ebay, but most have no code, and are worthless unless someone know's the "crack" which I'd love to hear about. I've got a couple old ones stored with no code, so if anyone's got a way to unlock, come forward......Tom