My new find...91 20V avant...with questions

Old 09-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so a quick update.

I'm digging in to replace the thermostat, water pump, valve stem seals and other bits and bobs. I have a few questions.

1. Can you remove the thermostat without removing the radiator? It looks like it might be possible just a really tight squeeze.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You can remove the thermostat without removing the radiator but removal of the p/s pump is necessary. Also removal of the intercooler. For a new thermostat you want the 87* C behr or wahler brand. Or from the dealer which is best but be aware you need to order the o-ring separately at the dealer, new bolts for the cover are good idea while you are at it. You can order dealer parts online from one of the any discount dealerships I use Carson at http://millburnaudiparts.com/ just create an account and e-mail him cheter@dchmillburnaudi.com to have him set your account up for a discount.
Are you replacing the timing belt and components along with the water pump?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yodasfro
You can remove the thermostat without removing the radiator but removal of the p/s pump is necessary. Also removal of the intercooler. For a new thermostat you want the 87* C behr or wahler brand. Or from the dealer which is best but be aware you need to order the o-ring separately at the dealer, new bolts for the cover are good idea while you are at it. You can order dealer parts online from one of the any discount dealerships I use Carson at http://millburnaudiparts.com/ just create an account and e-mail him cheter@dchmillburnaudi.com to have him set your account up for a discount.
Are you replacing the timing belt and components along with the water pump?
Yep I am! I'm all the way dug to where I need to be with the entire front end removed, I was just wondering if it was possible just to save some time and effort. I have the factory thermostat and gasket, water pump, idler, belt, camshaft seal and all new accessory belts, spark plugs, valve cover seals, valve stem seals and new antifreeze from blauparts. So yeah, minor rebuild. I'm guessing you have to remove the cams to get to the stem seals right?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The parts you got from blau parts are not factory and some of them are probably of poor quality.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The parts you got from blau parts are not factory and some of them are probably of poor quality.
Sadly, it's too late to change that decision now. Half are already installed and unboxed. I don't have the money to afford anything else and it was recommended by several people in the area who I know to be good mechanics who work on Audis/VWs and even both of the Audi/VW dealerships in my area. So...oh well.

Good news is that the thermostat is in just fine without any unnecessary removal of even the power steering pump and torqued to proper specs. And also the pulley and water pump are in. Now for the trickier parts....the crank seal, camshaft seal and all of the valve stem seals.

Any tips before I go into it?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This shows whats involved changing the valve stem seals with the head on it's for a 10v but the same basic idea requires some special tools
??? ???????? ?????? ??? ? ????? ??????? ???????? ?? ????????? ???? 100 | ??????? ?????????????

Last edited by yodasfro; 09-16-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This shows whats involved changing the valve stem seals with the head on it's for a 10v but the same basic idea requires some special tools
??? ???????? ?????? ??? ? ????? ??????? ???????? ?? ????????? ???? 100 | ??????? ?????????????
Thanks again Yoda for all the help.

Update time. Seals are all replaced after having to locate a valve spring compressor that isn't the clamp type. I only have one final question for putting it all back together...when
I put in the valve lifters, do I need to make sure that the little hole on the side of the lifter is in line with the oil jet hole on the engine?
Old 09-29-2014, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No need to line up the oil feed to the lifter as the lifter walks around in the bore when the motor is running.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Long term update. Car was finished on the 1st of this month and everything is going great. After a couple tricks with the valve cover gasket not wanting to seal and leaking, it's all going good. No leaks and no burning. Now it's time to work on everything else. Here's the list so far...

Bad wheel bearing on front drivers side. Have the parts just have to get someone with a bearing press to install them.
Dash still shorted out. Found a company who will rebuild it for $150 in Idaho. (recommended by Audi shop)
Air Intake Temperature sensor needs replacing.
Clutch has some weird play in it where it will take 2/3 of the pedal before I actually hit clutch. I looked at it and it seems to be the mount where the spring sits for the pedal. I don't believe it has to do with the slave cylinder just because of how it changes so much.
Still needs a radio (LOW on the list)
Need a differential and transmission fluid change.
Need to lube parking brake cable
Cruise control won't engage.
Rear D-pillar trim pieces need the cloth reglued.
Has trouble starting in the cold.
Needs new engine and transmission mounts.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I know there are more. So time to go down the list!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Another long term update....Sorry for the wait folks!
Been driving her for a month now on the new parts. She still has a leak out the front from the oil pump. It leaks decent but not enough to worry. Oil burning has all but ceased. I recently switched to full synthetic and funny enough, that helped it with a lot of its little issues.

Main things right now are air temp sensor which is throwing codes, wheel bearing, dash and new brake pads.

Oh and interesting news on the clutch. It started getting to the point where the clutch almost wasn't disengaging entirely, so I took it into the shop and they did a full flush of the brake and clutch system. Come to find out, the previous owner installed a new master cylinder, but never clipped the end off the nipple that feeds fluid to the clutch, so this car has been clutching without fluid for who knows how long. Feels great now!

Anyone know where I can get the air temperature sensor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new find...91 20V avant...with questions