New 5000 CS turbo quattro owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 5000 CS turbo quattro owner

Hey everyone. My name is Aidan. Ive been next door on the 4000/Coupe GT forums for the last four or five years. Finally ive purchased my very first 5000. Im in Canada on Vancouver island. I bought the car for $1000 dollars. I am in love with its power. Its a first for a few things Audi. First turbocharged car, first Quattro car. I am very pleased.

As the title says, The car is a 1986 Audi 5000 CS Turbo Quattro. It is white, with stock 16 spoke rims. The body is in great shape, no rust or dents. The interior is black leather with Recaro sports seats. Here is a list of pros and cons.

pros:
- Factory muffler is still on the car (aside from a new catylist)
- New K24 Turbocharger.
- New clutch
- Headgasket replaced along with valve work and other top end maintenance.
- modified waste gate for more turbo boost
- tons of spare parts came with it

cons:

- ignition is broken, push starter rigged on an empty button
- messy stereo wiring with direct power switch to battery
- strange cork blocking a vacuum line on the intake air duct
- sunroof stuck closed
- cigarette lighter broken
- heated seats don't work

I will post here frequently as I am new to this car completely. please be patient and help me out.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like a great deal for $1000 bucks ! How many miles on the car ? Try to get a Bentley manual if you can, or at least a Haynes, to help with diagnostics. Also check the car's production date, as there was early/late 86 models made, and some parts from the 85 model were used.

Concerning your Cons list.... the starter button is actually a blessing. The 5000's are known for having ignition switch/steering lock problems.

Your sunroof, cig. lighter, and heated seats may all just be a result of
blown fuses or relays. Check the fusebox, and aux. fusebox for the large yellow relay that controls the sunroof. There is also a relay at the roof panel. The blocked vacuum line may be a result of the boosted turbo. Check the vacuum diagrams, and here's where your manual begins to pay for itself.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi_marv
Sounds like a great deal for $1000 bucks ! How many miles on the car ? Try to get a Bentley manual if you can, or at least a Haynes, to help with diagnostics. Also check the car's production date, as there was early/late 86 models made, and some parts from the 85 model were used.

Concerning your Cons list.... the starter button is actually a blessing. The 5000's are known for having ignition switch/steering lock problems.

Your sunroof, cig. lighter, and heated seats may all just be a result of
blown fuses or relays. Check the fusebox, and aux. fusebox for the large yellow relay that controls the sunroof. There is also a relay at the roof panel. The blocked vacuum line may be a result of the boosted turbo. Check the vacuum diagrams, and here's where your manual begins to pay for itself.
The car is fantastic, the little things wrong with it are so easily forgotten once you get in and drive it. The previous owner gave me a holly bible of repairs for the car. It's quite tarnished, but it does the job. I will hunt around through it to see if I can fix little things. I believe it is the Audi factory repair manual! The heated seats are no big deal. My 4000's heated seats don't work either. Though the sunroof and cigarette lighter are kind of important! (No I do not smoke in the car) or in general...I just use the 12 volt plug in for my tomtom GPS and other accesories. I believe this car is the best car I've ever owned. I'm really happy I got it. I don't make much money either, so finding a 5000 TQ in this shape for 1000 dollars is very lucky. The owner gave me a deal on it too! I just hit 250,000 km's on it. Not bad for an 86. For what I payed for it, I can't complain.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...ing/turbo.html

Just follow that link to every bit of Audi 5000 knowledge you'll ever need.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by treehunter
http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...ing/turbo.html

Just follow that link to every bit of Audi 5000 knowledge you'll ever need.
Thank you! I've got lots to read. I want to know this car top to bottom
Old 05-19-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, that's my old car and its had everything within reason done, rebuilt or replaced so for the money just drive it and enjoy.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is the 86 5000s turbo quattro an interference or non interference motor, would really appreciate the help and don't know how to post my own posts lol
Old 04-15-2015, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewwood1028
Is the 86 5000s turbo quattro an interference or non interference motor, would really appreciate the help and don't know how to post my own posts lol
interference