restore additive

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok, you sold me...

If you have a compression tester, pull the plugs and get a set of readings. Then use the Restore at your next oil change, drive 500 miles, and check the readings again. I'll bet they will be higher.

How many miles on your Audi? If it's over 50K miles, you will definitely see and feel an improvement.

Best Regards,

Stephen Clark
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Restore to reduce oil consumption on 2.0T

Hi Steve, thank you for the good information and details you've provided. Since 2006 I have had three VWs with the 2.0T FSI engine. All of them have been high oil users. The 2008 Passat I'm driving now is using oil at about 1 quart every 1500 miles. From what I have read in numerous places this is considered "normal" and although it's consumption is unlike any other VW engine I've owned since 1981, diesel included, this is by far the most consumption I've ever experienced. I just traded a 2006 Passat with 226,000 miles on it and a couple of oil changes prior to trading I used some Restore and noticed a big improvement in both performance and oil consumption. I figured with that many miles it was worth a try. I was wondering your thoughts on using the Restore in 2008 with only 43,000 miles on it. It runs great, I'm wondering whether it will help with oil consumption and if there are any concerns I should be aware of before using it in a relatively new engine. I hate having to carry extra oil in the trunk. I look forward to your response. Again thank you for your original posting.

Originally Posted by Stephen Clark
I actually feel that way myself, Mr. Ed. I don't, as a rule, believe in additives of any kind. I would never use STP, Teflon, or any of those snake oils in my Audi. But as I said, I actually measured the difference on my own car. And, you can feel it too, even after only one application. Long term effects? None that I can discern after using it for over 150K miles. Would the engine be the same without it? Yes, but would have lower compression readings, lower power, less efficiency, etc.

And you don't have to add it at every oil change.

You can add it one time only and feel a difference. Do it again the next time you feel a loss of power, or your gas mileage drops. It's up to you! Add it every 5K or every 50K! Remember it's not an oil treatment, it's an engine treatment. Same as having the cylinders honed and polished, only a hell of a lot cheaper.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Clark
The product name is "Restore", and it is an engine treatment that is added to the oil during an oil change. It is not an oil teatment per se, but contains an active ingredient call CSL that fills microscopic scratches and scores in the cylinder walls, therefore reducing friction and restoring compression. If you car is new, you probably don't need it. It is designed to restore compression to like-new levels in older engines. Works like a charm...I actually did comparison measurements of compression readings before and after, and compression is always better after the treatment. Takes about 500 miles after the treatment to work, and it's available in 4,6,or 8 cylinder (not 5!) sizes at any automotive department for about $7-10. Cheap insurance!
The "ingredient" called CSL stands for Copper/Lead/Silver, and the theory being that those soft metals fill in the grooves in the cylinders. Now whether or not that would do anything to an all aluminum Alusil block in a V8Q, I don't know. I've used it in small engines/my old Honda years ago and had it in my hand before I parted the last V8, and am now wishing I'd have tried it....The 500 miles might have been a problem though....A friend of mine dumps it in all the old cars he's got and believes in it, but they are basket cases and also get a good dosing of "Radiator Fix"....That's what I know...Tom