V8 quattro stuck throttle

Old 02-07-2010, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 quattro stuck throttle

My 1991 V8 quattro 3.6 has been standing unused for several months because I have been in hospital. Now when I start it it races at maximum revs (around 7,000 rpm). Advice please? I have had this car for 14 years and will keep it for many years more if I can.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

did you check your bushing on the throttle cable Ive heard that this can be the culprit ?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jairek
did you check your bushing on the throttle cable Ive heard that this can be the culprit ?
Whereabouts do I look?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

it should be on the throttle body if you got a manual it would help i cant seem to find mine check on top of where the gas pedal pulls the cable out
Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can "force" the throddle back closed by pushing on a lever on the TB.

Then you can determine if the bearing (item 10) is siezed or the cable mounting area (large block with the rod connected to it) under the air filter housing just needs some PB Blaster and some movement to clear it up.

Last edited by V8QinNJ; 02-09-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Most helpful - will report back (after the threatened and unaccustomed snow)
Old 03-06-2010, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hmmm... the throttle cable is detached for a start - does anyone have a diagram or photograph of how it attaches? I can't imagine you're intended to poke the loose cable end into an aperture in situ. I can't find a step-by-step guide to doing what is needed anywhere on the web, but I do see a lot about stuck throttles on the V8Q. How much dismantling will I be letting myself in for?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default stuck throttle

Check to make sure the cruise control linkage has not jammed in there, the bushing fails and the rod jams in place- was subject to a recall at some point.
That linkage is under the airbox- removing the air filter housing is just 2 10mm nuts, and lube everything under there for good measure while checking.
Jack
PS: you can remove the idle stabizer and get at the throttle body in about 10 mins and 3 10mm nuts, and then 6 or so 6mm allen bolts. The TB can get crudded up and also stay stuck open. Lots of WD40 and oil can free up the linkages under it too.

Originally Posted by prdbloke
Hmmm... the throttle cable is detached for a start - does anyone have a diagram or photograph of how it attaches? I can't imagine you're intended to poke the loose cable end into an aperture in situ. I can't find a step-by-step guide to doing what is needed anywhere on the web, but I do see a lot about stuck throttles on the V8Q. How much dismantling will I be letting myself in for?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

be sure your floormats are bolted down.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here's what it was: the bearings on which the throttle butterfly valves sit, and their spring return mechanism, were sticky to an extent you would scarcely believe. presumably as a result of being left in one position for months. Penetrating oil plus a good deal of effort with the hands freed it all up. The rod mechanism that seems so implausible was functioning fine. The whole job need only have taken an hour or so for an able-bodied person.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V8 quattro stuck throttle