1994 Audi Cabriolet - worth restoring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Audi Cabriolet - worth restoring?

We have one of the first Audi Cabriolets that arrived in this US. It's been in the "family" since it was purchased in 94.

It has over 100k miles on it and shows it's age big time; it has a few dents, the original pinky purple color has faded on more than one panel and the interior need some love too. Mechanically, it's in pretty good shape however and is beloved in the family.

The question is... is it worth restoring? I got a price of about $11k to do the job, so the car would be in pristine condition. However, according to Edmonds, in that condition currently, it's worth only about $3K.

If we did the restoration, we would keep the car for at least another 10 years. What I don't want to find is that after we spent all this money the future value is... "What were you thinking, dummy!?"

So I am wondering that, given the fact that this is one of the first Audi Cabs ever built, and it will be in great condition in 10 years - what are thoughts on the potential value of these "classic" cars in the future?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't have an exact answer for you. All together there were not many Audi Cabriolets sold in the USA, so it is an unusual car. Our Cabriolets did not have electric power seats, a self dimmer rear view mirror, a turbo, a functional rear passenger seat and some of the other options that were found on Saab and BMW convertibles. And the Audi when new was more expensive too.

That said..I have invested much more than my car is worth. I have no regrets and like many of us, hope the market someday will reflect the genuine uniqueness and quality our Cabriolets have. Like the value of a piece of artwork..it might just remain low or suddenly ratchet up for no good reason. In the meantime I keep the car well maintained and enjoy it.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same as Rusty. i have spent way more then ill ever be able to get out of it, but it's not a question of an investment anymore. my B4q audi and my 68 bug are two cars im keeping as i love driving them and i find them cool
Old 10-04-2016, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you. Where do you draw the line on this type of investment? I've always wanted a Cab, and found a 1995 on Craigslist earlier this year. It was a neglected car. 151k on the odo, and other than transmission service, I didn't see any sign of any maintenance. Every type of fluid you pour in the engine compartment would leak out of the bottom. But the car started (with a new battery), and the top worked properly. Like yours, ours is cosmetically challenged, but I figured i could take care of the mechanical stuff.

The day we brought it home, I started the rejuvenation. I replaced all of the rubber vacuum lines, changed the oil, air filter, and plugs and wires. That alone was a huge upgrade. Even the cruise control now works.

So far I've replaced the shocks and struts, rebuilt the front suspension, and new brakes all around. Everything that was on the car was junk.

Even though we're not done yet, the car still an absolute rock on the highway. Smooth and quiet. Just what I hoped it would be. This year I'm still hoping to do the timing belt service, and I have a leaking brake pressure valve that likes to make a mess on my driveway.

So anyway, do it. Fix what needs to be fixed. Most parts are cheap, and not difficult to find. If spending that much cash makes you nervous, I'd skip the paint and bodywork. It's expensive to do it right, and it really doesn't make the car ride better, or go faster. Concentrate on the mechanicals. Brakes, suspension, tune-up, and fluid and filter changes. Reliability and safety should be priority one.

If you have questions, this is the best place to ask. And enjoy the hell out of that car.