1994 cabriolet central locking

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try to lock, then unlock the driver's door while you have a functional key in the ignition? That the easiest way to find out if my theory is correct.

By doing this, the trunk lock and other systems should work properly, because while the key is in the ignition they're actually getting power.

Then you'll know for sure that the constant and the keyed have been switched somewhere...

Last edited by Loudgoldwing; 11-24-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi

Ok so I got another key, yes I only had one...and with ign on the drivers door will lock an unlock with the key as it should, I can turn the key to off and it will still work up untill i remove the key from the ign and the interior lights turn on. After the ign key is out I have all te same symptoms I had before.

I removed the radio to inspect wiring behind it, what a mess...it looks like there was 3 factory conectors to the radio before. On 2 of the conectors on the left side an aftermarket conector plugs in to the factory harness, but there are still alot of wires cut.

Are there any wires on the factory radio that put power out back into the harness for the central locking and alarm (if the factory radio has a anti theft feature) and if so does anyone have a diagram of the factory wiring and knows which wires need to be altered.

The top or trunk lock are still not working at this time but maybe...I hope...this is still part of the problem.

Steve
Old 11-25-2011, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Man, I thought the ignition switch would do the trick. Do you turn the switch to "on" or does just putting it straight in activate the power to the trunk light? Since you asked I have the wiring diagram service manual for the '94 USA/Canada model. This is the paper copy and differs a bit from the Bentleys CD wiring diagrams, which most of us have. Here are some pages you might like to see. Private Message me with your email address and I'll send you any pages you need. There are some differences with the Canada daytime running lights wiring, but you are better qualified as a auto electrician than I to understand the diagrams. Page 17 has the luggage compartment light W3. I sent the CTCM page so you could see where line 290 was.
Attached Images     
Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know I'm bringing a thread back from the dead, but isn't that what a noob is s'posed to do with his first post? It's proof I searched!
Anyways, was this problem ever resolved? I've been having trouble trying to figure out some issues in regards to the central locking system in my '95 90 sedan (neither CLS or alarm are functioning at all). I have checked all the fuses and relays on the fuse panel, looked through wiring diagrams, and pulled door cards off driver's door and right rear door in search for some sort of gremlin. Only reason I pulled the right rear is because that speaker sometimes cuts out, and there aren't any crossed or poorly spliced wires behind the stereo that I could find (nor in the door, so that would be a clue - or bad speaker). I managed to lock my trunk with my key in attempt to try that actuator, only to discover that I couldn't turn it the other direction afterwards. A day or so later I was able to turn it back, but it felt as if the linkage just worked itself free and essentially did absolutely nothing. Luckily I unlocked my fuel door before that happened... lol. But I'm moving out of state soon, so I really need access to the trunk, and having a working alarm wouldn't be a bad thing either (it isn't atm).

A little background on the car: it sat for 6 or 7 months in Oregon, which anyone in the PNW knows is perfect weather for a car to sit, right? </sarcasm> I spent a good 2 hours just cleaning the outside of the car, scrubbing moss off the paint and out of the body seams. Basically, the previous owner said he hadn't had any of those problems before parking it, although noted that if it was left sitting for a week or so then the CLS would sometimes take a little time to come back to life. I've also encountered a couple other (probably) unrelated problems that he hadn't, relating to the cooling system. Oh, and the cruise control won't come on at all.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default usa model

I have a 94 cabby and the trunk light only works when the light switch (dimmer) is turned all the way.
When I open the trunk the light does not come but does come on when the dimmer switch is turned .
Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i'd like to resurrect this thread again, was it ever resolved? i guess the original poster disappeared.

i'm having a similar, yet different issue:
sometimes the central door lock function will 'flip' so that when locking the door with the key (clockwise on driver side), the doors will unlock! and when unlocking (counter-clockwise), the doors will lock!

as a side effect when this occurs, the factory alarm will be activated when the doors are unlocked, as the alarm will believe the doors are supposedly locked.

does this sound familiar to anyone? should i start a new thread?