Any other parts to replace while I'm here?

Old 11-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any other parts to replace while I'm here?

1995 Audi 90 Quattro
codes that flashed
2111 engine speed sensor
2121 closed throttle position switch
2312 engine coolant temp sensor
2341 oxygen sensor control 1

Also need to do timing job ( tensioner, water pump and belt) and passenger cv joint.

Any parts I should replace while I'm at it? Just got this Audi off of a friend. 500 dollars plus had to pick it up. Total is about 850 so far. I want to keep it fresh. Any other advice. Thanks. By the way, just signed up, this is my first post.

Any other pa
Old 11-29-2015, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

clear the codes and try again, if you do start replacing those sensors, try to get bosch if possible.
for the TPS, you may want to check a junkyard or someone here from the forum that's willing to sell a spare one of theirs
i would recommend doing all the cam seals and crank seal while doing the t-belt. also thermostat and get the G12/13 VW/Audi coolant (usually cheaper at VW dealer)
Old 11-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRAZY_RUSSIAN
clear the codes and try again, if you do start replacing those sensors, try to get bosch if possible.
for the TPS, you may want to check a junkyard or someone here from the forum that's willing to sell a spare one of theirs
i would recommend doing all the cam seals and crank seal while doing the t-belt. also thermostat and get the G12/13 VW/Audi coolant (usually cheaper at VW dealer)
Awesome. Is a new TPS hard to find? We cleared the codes and the same ones popped up again. ill look into the seals. I plan on ordering the parts tomorrow and just want to have them all before I pull it into the garage. Is there a way to check for other Audi members in my area? Thanks a bunch, I'll wait for a few more replies and get some pics up soon.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, doesn't seem to have too many problems. Won't currently pass emissions but I imagine it's probably the O2 sensor. There is however a "lag and catch" going into second sometimes. Haven't looked into it yet just wondering if there are any common problems I should know about. I will try to search the forums here soon. Don't have too much time for that today though.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

TPS is not hard to find, it's just expensive.
no area search unfortunately
they will usually give you a printout of what areas your car failed. but with the sensors that are currently inop of glitchy on your car, it will not pass as your fuel mixture is currently all over the place
"lag and catch" is it only in 2nd gear? does it feel like the clutch is slipping? it might be worth bleeding the brake and clutch system (they share the same reservar)
Old 11-29-2015, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have few good working TPS, pm if you need one
Old 02-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRAZY_RUSSIAN
So, I did a timing job. Belt, tensioner, idler, thermostat, oil pump gasket, crank and cam seals, upper and lower oil pan gaskets, serpentine belt, tensioner. All vac lines, all leaking or loose coolant hoses, O2 sensors, oil temp sensor, oil pressure switch, oil pressure sender. Plugs and wires, engine temp sensor. Air filter and oil filter. Time to start: carnked by hand, marks lined up... started the engine.... knocking but idling. Dies. Take covers and serp off to check timing. Off by a tooth but we set the belt to the cams using an actual tool. Reset timing. Still needed oil flow. Did research. Another guy had similar problem with knocking after timing and no oil. Filled 4 quarts over cranked using starter but disconnected ignition and fuel. After a couple tries oil finally starts to come out of filter. Drain extra oil. Ready for ignition start up... idles, still clicking... idle a bit longer while looking into valve cover... not as much oil flying around as I think there should be. Engine stalls with a click..... AFC engine. What now? Any advice or anything I should do or look for? I haven't tried to turn over after that. Figure ill check the timing again first then over fill with oil and try to get oil moving to the top... lifters? Did not replace the engine speed sensor or tps. But I figured I could do timing and emissions first. Thank you very much. Sorry for the long list, I just didn't want to miss anything. Also had to write this out in a giant paragraph because my computer isn't cooperating.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

did you clean your pickup tube and replace the little o-ring on it? also your oil pump piston could be sticking.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

or you bent a valve during the proces. do you have the plastic covers over your cams?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Time to do a compression test..Cams were out of time and it may have bent a valve. There are no marks on a V6 camshaft..you need the tools. About $20 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Audi-Valve-Engine-Camshaft-Alignment/dp/B010PA9GG8/ref=sr_1_20?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1455208802&sr=1-20&keywords=audi+cam+tool http://www.amazon.com/Audi-Valve-Engine-Camshaft-Alignment/dp/B010PA9GG8/ref=sr_1_20?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1455208802&sr=1-20&keywords=audi+cam+tool

Best policy when doing a timing belts..at the end..once you have the cam tool off and you are sure everything is perfect..turn the engine over by hand with the spark plugs out (not with the starter) and feel if there are any tough spots..there should be NONE.

Once you have rotated the engine a few times by hand..then check the cam timing one more time with the tools. It should be perfect..if not..reset and do the same thing again..by hand.

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 02-11-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any other parts to replace while I'm here?