Any other parts to replace while I'm here?

Old 02-11-2016, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did crank by hand after resetting timing both times before going to starter then ignition. I do have the plastic cam covers inside of the valve covers. I must have looked at 10 different diagrams of the oil system and I haven't seen an oil pick up tube anywhere and I didn't have one in the parts taken off.

Is it built into the casting of the upper oil pan? What hole is it? Is it the circular crater thing on the sump that isn't the strainer? I cleaned every single part we took off and made sure there were no blockages.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi90Soundwall
We did crank by hand after resetting timing both times before going to starter then ignition. I do have the plastic cam covers inside of the valve covers. I must have looked at 10 different diagrams of the oil system and I haven't seen an oil pick up tube anywhere and I didn't have one in the parts taken off.

Is it built into the casting of the upper oil pan? What hole is it? Is it the circular crater thing on the sump that isn't the strainer? I cleaned every single part we took off and made sure there were no blockages.
I am his witness, turned the crank 720 degrees twice, checked timing with the use of the cam lock tool and crank lock pin, on the second occasion (in order to re-check things) same procedure was performed. On the AFC engine there is no pickup tube, the pickup screen is snapped into the upper oil pan as I understand it.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is it built into the casting of the upper oil pan? What hole is it? Is it the circular crater thing on the sump that isn't the strainer? I cleaned every single part we took off and made sure there were no blockages
Old 02-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So. Pulled the valve covers. Passenger side cam holder is seized. Checked the other side, it looks good. It seems like oil was just starting to flow but a little too late. Pulling the heads to check the valves and pistons and cylinder sleaves. Hoping its just the head otherwise ill be looking into engine swap. Ill try to get some pictures up.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

so when you pulled off the oil pans you didn't notice anything that looks like this? http://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/im...6B-115-251.jpg

as soon as my online parts catalog comes back up ill look up for it looks like for AFC motor
Old 02-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nothing like that. That is AAH specific. I've read a couple other thread where oil priming was an issue. I think we just didn't know, I was thinking maybe my valley pan check valves are bad and didn't keep oil in the too like they are supposed to as I understand.

Took off both heads everything looks fine as tar as cylinders are concerned. There are no bearings holding the can so I need a new AFC head or two AAH heads.

Do you know how difficult and expensive a 4.2 swap would be? If I do find a head, should I attempt any of Mances workshops? How would those effect emissions tests? Thanks!
Old 02-14-2016, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

4.2 conversion is a ton of work, and most of them lose AC and you have to use a much larger radiator.
as for the bearings, no bearings on the heads from the factory. why do you need new heads?
btw, do not reuse the head bolts!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CRAZY_RUSSIAN
4.2 conversion is a ton of work, and most of them lose AC and you have to use a much larger radiator.
as for the bearings, no bearings on the heads from the factory. why do you need new heads?
btw, do not reuse the head bolts!
I have attached a pic, albeit a poor quality pic posted to show why the head appears to be toasted. Look at the cam caps at the bottom of the picture. The car was started without proper and complete oil pressure to the valve/cam area of the passenger head. I will see if I cannot get a better picture to post, and get one of the head as well, specifically the portion that secures the cam is scored badly.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2016, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 03_AR_CO
I have attached a pic, albeit a poor quality pic posted to show why the head appears to be toasted. Look at the cam caps at the bottom of the picture. The car was started without proper and complete oil pressure to the valve/cam area of the passenger head. I will see if I cannot get a better picture to post, and get one of the head as well, specifically the portion that secures the cam is scored badly.
Any ideas on sourcing replacement heads for this engine would be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

plenty on ebay, but most likely they will need to be rebuilt

just went throught the parts catalog for the AFC, and i see what you mean, it does snap in to the upper oil pan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any other parts to replace while I'm here?