Audi 80 2.6L electrical help wanted

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 80 2.6L electrical help wanted

Hi.
I've bought myself an old audi 80. I am experiencing some problems with it shortly after i returned home though . First, the temperature gauge seems to be dead. I've tried changing the temp sensor, and I've also tried to search for a test to be made on the sensors, but I haven't found any yet.

I have recently also had problems with the tachometer. Apparently, I just randomly decided to count ca. 500 rpm less than the day before?

Any help would be extremely appreciated !

Sincerely Rune Rasmussen
Old 06-30-2016, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You need a cluster buddy.... What year is she? Ive learned to live with my dead temp gauge and Odometer/trip counter for some years now. Temp guage works when it feels like tho, replaced thermostat and temp sensor and religiously check coolant level and also make sure fan is always on by running my AC. And of course with fingers crossed hope i never run hot.... but back to your case, source a known working cluster on Audi forum classifies or ebay. Its most likely original, meaning 25years old plus.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's what i was affraid afraid of . It's from 1992, and runs like a dream, except from those 2 fails. I've checked that the fans start when they should, so that shouldn't be a problem. Finding a new cluster might be more expensive than what the car is worth however. But thanks for the help, really helped me clear things up !
Old 07-03-2016, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Rune..I have had some luck removing the cluster then cleaning the screws that hold (and provide an electrical connection) on the back of the temp gauge. The tach also has screws that may need cleaning too.

Here is a write up with pictures from Audicarbio.info with some information on the suspect screws and a voltage regulator replacement. I hope this is helpful. If you dont speak German, open with Chrome and you can do a translate.

Audicabrio.info - Kombiinstrument (KI) - Tankanzeige/Temperaturanzeige reparieren
Old 07-06-2016, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello Spokes. I'll definitely try that one out! Thanks a lot
Old 07-17-2016, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Get cluster form row52.com, force5auto, or send it out to a place that resolders everything.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Tanks for the link Brad, but i cant seem to find any sellers near Denmark, and shipping is too expensive 🤔.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
Rune..I have had some luck removing the cluster then cleaning the screws that hold (and provide an electrical connection) on the back of the temp gauge. The tach also has screws that may need cleaning too.
I've had a look at the screws and I was wondering if you know which screws is for the tach? The only screws other than those already explained in the link goes down to the speedometer, and there isn't any going to the tach.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There are three screws that hold a cover on the back behind the tach..the tach is buried on the other side. Removing the cover will show some bayonet electrical connections. Maybe those connected just need the cover reinstalled and it may work.

Do you read German?
Old 07-18-2016, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Audi Cabriolet Forum - Tacho und Co

Quick Reply: Audi 80 2.6L electrical help wanted