AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 80 compression test

Hiya all I did the tedt today
cylinder 1 175 lbs
cylinder 2 150 lbs
cylinder 3 150 lbs
cylinder 4 150 lbs

its was a wet test as well it was to much of an **** on cutting fuel please give me good news
Old 12-13-2016, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

A wet test..you mean you put some oil in the cylinders prior to the compression test?

Or did you have the injectors/fuel system live?

Be careful..the spark plug wires are still arcing and you have fuel and air being pumped out turning the engine over if the fuel pump/fuel system is "live" and you can have a big explosion or fire ball if you do this incorrectly. I've seen this myself.

Typically a "wet test" is done to see if you have compression leakage around the piston rings after a "dry" compression test..for comparison. Say you had 80psi dry and added some oil to the cylinder and it went up to 150psi..then you know the engine is loosing compression past the rings and not the valves.

A "wet test" will not tell you much in itself alone.

I would think the 175psi #1 had some carbon compared with the others..but a "dry" and "wet" test..with the throttle open would be best.

Try again..go drive the car and get it warmed up. Park the car..Remove the fuel pump fuse and spark plugs.

Do the compression test and be sure to have the throttle wide open when you turn the engine over and record your results.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I removed all the plugs when I did it I didnt cut the fuel off that wad all and no I didnt put oil in the cylinders so what should I do
Old 12-13-2016, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mar5den
I removed all the plugs when I did it I didnt cut the fuel off that wad all and no I didnt put oil in the cylinders so what should I do
Try again..go drive the car and get it warmed up. Park the car..Remove the fuel pump fuse and spark plugs.

Do the "dry" compression test and be sure to have the throttle wide open when you turn the engine over and record your results.

Then squirt a little oil in each cylinder though the spark plug hole..not much..about 10-20cc..and then re-check the compression.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Am lost of with what to do with the car.its off the road and up on axle stands av been told to just leave the compression test again and that it will be ok? as its above 150
Old 12-14-2016, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like a good plan..150psi is fine..that 175psi #1 cylinder is a little off as all four should be about the same..no worries though..drive it and see what the oil consumption is like and enjoy the ride.