Audi 80 remove alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 80 remove alternator

Hello.
When I was out driving my audi today, the engine warning, coolant warning and battery warning lights suddenly all 3 came on at the same time. I checked the coolant level, and that is fine, so this must be a sensor. The battery however is 12.5V with the engine off, and 11.3V with the engine running. My thought was that the brushes in the alternator was worn down so I would replace them. However, I am unable to see how in gods name I can get the alterator out. I am unable to acces it from above the engine, and below the engine. I am hoping someone have experience changing the alternator on an audi 80 b4 v6.
Best regards Rune Rasmussen
Old 10-15-2016, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

When I did an alternator on my daughter's A6..it was fiddly for sure..should be about the same as your V6 engine too.

Disconnect the battery negative cable

Go under the car and remove the plastic cover on the back of the alternator. Remove the cables and note the correct position on the alternator.

From up top..remove the engine cover and serp belt. Remove the serp belt tensioner. Remove the timing belt cover.

The alternator is held in place with two bolts. Don't remember the size..15mm head and 17mm head? Remove those two bolts and wiggle the alternator out..there is a spacer bushing in there..don't lose it.

Now the alternator is loose..fiddle with moving it forward and out..you may find an a/c hose in the way..if so..try going under the car and fiddle with removing it from under the car. If the oil dip-stick is in the way..then you will need to remove it too. That is fiddly too..one bolt up at the top and remove the dip-stick..note the location and orientation of the holding bolt. Try and get a new "O" ring for the dip-stick too, where it goes into the block. Part number 034115427B
Old 10-16-2016, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Spokes.
Thank you for the detailed reply, much appreciated. I do not know if the engine room has the same space in the A6 as the 80, because as far as I can see, it is impossible to remove the serp belt without taking out the coolant radiator. I've attached pictures, so you can se what I'm seeing.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi.
This morning when i turned on the car, all the warning lamps was off, and they stayed off the the 5km i drove. Is this a common problem with the 80, and has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem?
Old 10-16-2016, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RuneDams
Hi.
This morning when i turned on the car, all the warning lamps was off, and they stayed off the the 5km i drove. Is this a common problem with the 80, and has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem?
Could be a bad ground between the battery and chassis..that one is easier to check. Be sure the battery posts are clean and all the connections are good. There is a ground cable between the engine and chassis..you can see it on the passenger side above the alternator. Be sure it is making a good connection too.

On my Cabriolet I had to remove the radiator fans to get in there. Not too bad a job..Note the position of the fan power cables on the resistor plate, color coded for position.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

follow Rusty's advice first, but also might want to look into your ignition switch as a last resort.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

CR is absolutely right about that ignition switch..use OEM if you change yours
Old 10-26-2016, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi.
Sorry for the late answer. I've checked the ground wire, and it doesn't appear to be a bad connection. On the other hand, the speakers connected to an amp in the back has begun humming synchronously with the engines revving, so when I've got the time, I'm gonna have to do a deeper check on the ground wires.

How can the ignition switch be the source of the charge problem?

-Rune Rasmussen
Old 10-26-2016, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Rune..sure sounds like a ground problem somewhere or a worn alternator with a diode or two failing. Most auto parts stores will test your charging system for free..usually with a hand held tester with a print out..which you should get a copy of and save..don't be surprised if the test fails the alternator..they often do..but it is not relevant without knowing the reason why..and the print out will tell the story.

The ignition switch can cause all kinds of weird problems. The new style switch from Audi is better than the original or aftermarket switches..if yours is older..do consider changing it just to be safe.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi.
This morning, the coolant warning came up again, even though there's plenty of coolant, so I'm considering changing the ignition if that's could help things. You say there is a new style switch for the old 80? Do you know where it is available for purchase?

-Rune Rasmussen

Quick Reply: Audi 80 remove alternator