Audi Cabrio Manual Roof Problem, cover won't release automatically

Old 03-07-2016, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Cabrio Manual Roof Problem, cover won't release automatically

Hi All, I am new to this forum and Audi ownership so please go easy

I have just bought a 95 Audi 80 Cabriolet with a manual roof thinking that would be best for a 16 year old car and thought I could cure the roof problem with a new boot loom but its never that easy! I've done a search but can't see a similar problem.

As soon as I turn on the ignition the windows drop and the roof light on the dash lights up, the button on the door shut that is supposed to release the roof cover doesn't release it.

I have checked to boot loom and someone has been there before and repaired it, it looks to be OK.

When I release the handbrake the roof light starts to flash so I assume the system is getting the correct input from that.

If I try to turn the t-bar while the boot is open I can't release the hood, when the boot is shut the t-bar turns all the way and the roof releases so again I am assuming it is getting a signal from the boot microswitch and all is OK there too.

When I push the button that releases the cover I can hear a click from the t-bar area and the roof light on the dash seems to react and starts its flashing from when I pressed the button. The PO told me this switch was the problem (it is loose and does drop out of the hole in the bodywork) but seeing as I can hear the click and the light changes I am assuming it is getting a signal from that too.

So in summary the boot loom looks OK and the system seems to be getting a signal from the boot lock, handbrake and the cover release button so all components seem to work individually but not together. When I turn the ignition the dash light illuminates and the windows drop. interestingly the windows only drop if the window switch is connected, if its not connected they don't drop.

Also, I am assuming the normal procedure is to turn the t-bar (which lowers the windows) and release the front of the roof then raise it from the front and rear together then press the button to release the cover and fold it all in, anyone know if thats correct?

So my conclusion is that the cover release button is actually OK and the problem must be with the t-bar because it thinks that is unlatched as soon as I turn on the ignition but I don't know if I am correct or where to start looking in the t-bar.

I have ordered some cover release solenoids just in case they are the problem but am thinking its unlikely that both sides would break together.

I am making a lot of assumptions here and the problem is driving me crazy! Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be?
Old 03-07-2016, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Audicabrio.info - Kabelbaum Heckdeckel - ReparaturtippsDouble check the boot loom..they can really fool you. Use Google Chrome to translate the page.

The other problem can be the trunk latch servomotor, see the link.Audicabrio.info - Stellmotor Heckklappenschloss - Verdeckdeckel geht nicht auf
Old 03-13-2016, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
Audicabrio.info - Kabelbaum Heckdeckel - ReparaturtippsDouble check the boot loom..they can really fool you. Use Google Chrome to translate the page.

The other problem can be the trunk latch servomotor, see the link.Audicabrio.info - Stellmotor Heckklappenschloss - Verdeckdeckel geht nicht auf
Thanks for the response! The left side boot loom looked OK from the outside so I guess it could be broken inside, I will open it up and take a look.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok I stripped both boot looms and checked them carefully, the repaired right loom has been done properly and is not broken, I stripped the sheath back on the left loom and the wires all seem in excellent condition, I think I am satisfied that this is not the culprit (ok maybe 90%!).

Also, when my boot lid is open the roof handle won't release so it seems to be getting a signal from the boot lock micro switch.

I really am at a loss as to where to look next!
Old 04-16-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about the manual roof works but I just dug into my automatic roof and found the attached troubleshooting procedure. Goes into details about the many switches and statuses needed for everything to work correctly
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cabriolet Top Testing.pdf (556.3 KB, 569 views)
The following users liked this post:
Marcel BR (12-20-2021)