Brand-new just bought a 97 Cabriolet having second

Old 02-03-2016, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand-new just bought a 97 Cabriolet having second

Brand-new owner here never had just bought a 97 Cabriolet having second Thoughts.

Parts are very hard to come by for this vehicle I am beginning to get scared away from it window regulators $500 window motors $300 seats not a lot around. Is this going to be like this for the life of this vehicle? Is everything going to be this difficult or are those the few things that are cabriolet specific? I understand there were only 10,000 cabbies sent to this country that could be the reason people are not making the parts because there is not enough demand . All that said please someone talk me out of getting rid of this vehicle it is so cool looking and fun to drive I have already done front bushings lower control arm and a few other small things I cannot find the window regulator yours I need reasonably priced does anyone know a fix or a rebuild for them on the Cabriolet ? Also heater core is disconnected that looks like an absolute nightmare thanks in advance for any advice hoping to hear back from you guys with some guidance ,
-Joe
Old 02-03-2016, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I have gone to Germany for some of the parts for my Cabriolet. They were more popular there. Are you certain both regulators are defective? That would be unusual..not impossible though.

A right side window regulator is about $150 plus shipping on the ebay.de

Audi 80 Coupe/Cabrio Typ 89 Fensterheber elektrisch Vorne Rechts 895837398C | eBay

I have a left side regulator with glass in storage.

Heater core..air box flaps..all the usual suspects. If you are handy with tools and devote some time these cars are very nice. If you have to pay labor for the repairs the cars will be money pits. Older Audis are a DIY type of car.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you cant work on it yourself, and if you aren't savvy enough to shop in europe for parts, you will have a very very hard time with the car.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is why Audi's are fairly inexpensive unless being sold by a purist. This car cannot be your primary transport or it will cost you a fortune. As a second car that can sit a week or two while you source parts that you can install then it's a fairly inexpensive runner. If anything the older they get the harder parts will be to come by. More than one b4 owner has a parts car at hand, or boxes of spare parts at the ready. I just found a fresh Quattro at the junkyard and already grabbed a bunch of spare parts and I'm going back on Saturday for more.
Where are you located?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
I have gone to Germany for some of the parts for my Cabriolet. They were more popular there. Are you certain both regulators are defective? That would be unusual..not impossible though.

A right side window regulator is about $150 plus shipping on the ebay.de

Audi 80 Coupe/Cabrio Typ 89 Fensterheber elektrisch Vorne Rechts 895837398C | eBay

I have a left side regulator with glass in storage.

Heater core..air box flaps..all the usual suspects. If you are handy with tools and devote some time these cars are very nice. If you have to pay labor for the repairs the cars will be money pits. Older Audis are a DIY type of car.
How much would I need to give you for the driver side window regulator ? mine is in pieces at the bottom of the door So I believe I need the left window regulator and the right window motor. Anybody know if these window motors are interchangeable right to left with some wiring ? And I'm not sure about the heat flaps but my heater or is disconnected so it is probably plugged up
Old 02-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 1993audi90
This is why Audi's are fairly inexpensive unless being sold by a purist. This car cannot be your primary transport or it will cost you a fortune. As a second car that can sit a week or two while you source parts that you can install then it's a fairly inexpensive runner. If anything the older they get the harder parts will be to come by. More than one b4 owner has a parts car at hand, or boxes of spare parts at the ready. I just found a fresh Quattro at the junkyard and already grabbed a bunch of spare parts and I'm going back on Saturday for more.
Where are you located?
Boston.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Window regulators show up from time to time in ebay.com too. Also find yourself a pick and pull yard and wait till a cabriolet show up. Row52.com is a good source. Also car-part.com
Shokan.com too.
The heater problem is so popular I would say, that I almost havent heard of noone that has good original heating. But once you repair it - will last for a very long time probably. There are DIY in internet with pictures for how to change the heater core. I did mine last month and now the car is soo hot inside.
Good luck and welcome. Upload some pictures
Old 02-14-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just scored an extra set of front window regulators. let me know if you're interested in them.