Crushed. FedEx truck rams my 1997 Cabriolet and ignobly ends its proud life.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fix the car. You will probably need to get a "Reconstructed" title, but the only thing that effects is the value of the car for the next time it is hit, don't ask em how I know this.

If you are going to drive it and that is all you want, fix it.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When the insurance company gets back to you about the price of how much they will give you for totalling out the car, they will low ball the **** out of you; make them keep going up and up and up, ask for an estimate page via email of pricing break down on how they are taking deductions from KBB price. once the final amount is agreed upon, tell them you want to buy the car back. you will keep the car and they will take 100-300 away from the agreed amount and you will get the rest by check. then you can go about buying the new parts and you keep your car. you will keep current title(obviously) and the next owner, when they get the title would get a title of "vehicle totaled", but if you never plan to part ways with it then its nothing to worry about, otherwise you can apply to get a clean title with proof and appraisers and all that to check it out and agree that the car is 100% fine within reasonable limitations and there are no safety aspects being missed.

i had a 1992 honda accord that they deemed totaled all because the front bumper was cracked, and fell off, and it had no front bumper support(how i got the car). i bought it back for $100, insurance company gave me $2000 for the car, i kept the car, built up the motor and once the motor finally gave because i did half *** building because, well, honda, thats when i traded it straight across for my b3 90.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lsdisk0
When the insurance company gets back to you about the price of how much they will give you for totalling out the car, they will low ball the **** out of you; make them keep going up and up and up, ask for an estimate page via email of pricing break down on how they are taking deductions from KBB price. once the final amount is agreed upon, tell them you want to buy the car back. you will keep the car and they will take 100-300 away from the agreed amount and you will get the rest by check. then you can go about buying the new parts and you keep your car. you will keep current title(obviously) and the next owner, when they get the title would get a title of "vehicle totaled", but if you never plan to part ways with it then its nothing to worry about, otherwise you can apply to get a clean title with proof and appraisers and all that to check it out and agree that the car is 100% fine within reasonable limitations and there are no safety aspects being missed.

i had a 1992 honda accord that they deemed totaled all because the front bumper was cracked, and fell off, and it had no front bumper support(how i got the car). i bought it back for $100, insurance company gave me $2000 for the car, i kept the car, built up the motor and once the motor finally gave because i did half *** building because, well, honda, thats when i traded it straight across for my b3 90.

Not much experience in dealing with insurance and totaled classic cars, but I can name you a number of dismantlers who are also enthusiasts who can understand your plight, although admittedly they are all in the northeast.

Force5auto.com - owner Chris Semper: I-5 Turbo guru
Germansutoparts.Com
double Z motors - fishkill, NY (845)896-7930 - no website but great guy to deal with with many "classic" VAG cars in stock

not my favorite (inflated prices, useful for insurance claims/lawsuits) but shokan.com
blauparts.Com - also pricey, and in WI

Hope that helps.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default reached agreement with insurance company

Well, it took like two months, but I finally reached an agreement with the Fedex's insurance company regarding my Cabriolet. They started at like $2,500 and I keep the car or $3,200 and they keep the car. Anyway, after much back and forth (and they did not budge at the beginning) we ended up at $4,000 and I keep my car.

Just so others can benefit from the experience, sending them information about the service history (and I had over 60 pages of service history), photos of how nice the Cab looked before the accident, etc. did little to change their numbers.

The only thing that seemed to change their tune was getting 35 different price points for 1996-1998 Audi Cabriolets. I then did a linear regression of the data points to arrive at a number for the mileage on my Cab. Plus the extra amount my Carfax report indicated.

So we settled on the $4K. Got the check and now what I think I'm going to do is sell the car as is. It runs fine but I think someone will find more use for it selling it for parts.

It's taken me a long time to come to terms with this decision. I've had the car since 2000 and really enjoyed it. But It think it's time to let it go and find another Audi to connect with.

I got a lot of good info from the comments many of you made, so I thank you all for that. If any of you have any other questions or comments, please let me know.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I've got a list of goodies needed if you are parting out the car..My suggestion is to keep the car and fix it though.

Heck..I'll buy the car if it is drive-able.

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 07-20-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
I've got a list of goodies needed if you are parting out the car..My suggestion is to keep the car and fix it though.

Heck..I'll buy the car if it is drive-able.
The car is certainly drivable. Actually, I'm planning on driving it this week to some of the car parts dealers around here in Miami. Where are you? Feel free to PM me with specific questions.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I sold the Cabriolet last Thursday -- same day I put it on Craigslist. The guy who bought it seemed to be all pumped up to fix it, so it seems it has found a good home.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Is that the don sezar?

[?QUOTE=espressomac;24684683]My work collegue walked into my office and said to me, "You're about to have a bad day." Well, that's never good, I thought. "A FedEx truck just nailed your car," he added solemnly, knowing full well what my 1997 Cabriolet means to me. He had just witnessed a FedEx truck back out way too fast, and with no screeching of brakes, just rammed its rear bumper into the front right corner of my Cab.

I guess I should have felt good that luckily no one got hurt, but I still couldn't help but feel awful. It was a sinking feeling that had a certain sense of finality to it. The minute I saw my car, I said to myself and anyone who could hear, "This is going to end badly."

And so it seems. FedEx's insurance asked me to get a quote to get it repaired. I went to get a quote from a shop that does a lot of work for Audi in Miami. The minute the guy saw my car he groaned. Never a good sign. He took lots of notes, all the time while shaking his head. Back at his computer he calmly said, "They're going to declare this a total loss." I actually didn't understand how bad that news was until he explained. Since the preliminary estimate is $4,800, he explained the insurance company is going to declare the car a total loss and will want to write me a check for its Blue Book value, about $3,200, and then TAKE AWAY my car! With a "total loss" they basically buy my car at book value and then they get to sell it for parts, because it's theirs. In other words, if the cost to repair is over 80% of the car's value, it's declared a total loss.

The recourse in the state of Florida is somewhat limited. But as I explore my options I'm increasingly resigned to what is probably inevitable. I could, if I wanted to, withdraw my claim and then I get to keep my crushed car. Not a great option since it is already recorded as having been in a crash by the police here.

If anyone has been in a similar situation and has words of wisdom to share, I'm all ears.

I guess my only consolation is that the Cab lived a full life, including making an appearance in some pretty cool photo shoots. Folks, take good photos of your Audi's. You will be really happy you did at some point in the future.

My Cab in happier times:

Sorry for the large number of photos. Was just very proud of that car...

For anyone interested, more photos from that shoot that I'm so glad took place.

immortal-car[/QUOTE]