DIY manual tranny fluid change write up for Audi 90 12v V6 (93'-95')

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY manual tranny fluid change write up for Audi 90 12v V6 (93'-95')

Well its finally over and what a PITA because I could not find the critical location of the filler plug. I looked on this site and site design made it very hard to find out what I needed and came up empty. I contacted the local Audi Dealerships and came up with different locations with were all wrong. I then contacted some location Euro car shops and also came up empty for the information I needed.

I then downloaded AutoData CDA-3 and it was right to the point for the infomation I needed.

Well 1st we used 4 jack stands and made her level to work underneath her.

1. First we took of the drain plug (sorry no pic) but its a big (17mm)hex bolt underneath the tranny and very easy to find and had no problems to remove.

2).We then let the tranny fluid drain (over night).......

Look at the dirty tranny fluid...no idea how old it is but looks very dirty...It did have a hint of red color to it so maybe it had very old and dirty RedLine but not sure.

I put some of the dirty old tranny fluid on some printer paper so to compare it to some brand new RedLine 75w-90 GL4.

3).Well after 3 days we finally located the mystery tranny filler plug. The location is on the drivers side hidden by the CV drive shaft by a aluminum curved plate that has to be removed.

4).The cover to the driver side tranny plug was removed and is on the ground in the pic.

5). Then tranny filler plug was then removed with a 17mm hex indented plug adapter. Make sure you clean the threads of the tranny and tranny plug very well.

6). Removed the filler tranny plug (w/17mm bolt adapter)

7). Filling tranny with RedLine 75w-90 MTL 90. (Make sure you elevate the bottle so the filler hose will not get kinked and flows good.

8). After tranny filled (2.538 qts) everything was put back together and tested on test drive and the new fluid some be broke in about 100 miles from what I have read.

I hope this helps someone in the future.
Attached Images      
Old 04-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very Helpful. Thank you for Documenting it!

Originally Posted by Garmin330
Well its finally over and what a PITA because I could not find the critical location of the filler plug. I looked on this site and site design made it very hard to find out what I needed and came up empty. I contacted the local Audi Dealerships and came up with different locations with were all wrong. I then contacted some location Euro car shops and also came up empty for the information I needed.

I then downloaded AutoData CDA-3 and it was right to the point for the infomation I needed.

Well 1st we used 4 jack stands and made her level to work underneath her.

1. First we took of the drain plug (sorry no pic) but its a big (17mm)hex bolt underneath the tranny and very easy to find and had no problems to remove.

2).We then let the tranny fluid drain (over night).......

Look at the dirty tranny fluid...no idea how old it is but looks very dirty...It did have a hint of red color to it so maybe it had very old and dirty RedLine but not sure.

I put some of the dirty old tranny fluid on some printer paper so to compare it to some brand new RedLine 75w-90 GL4.

3).Well after 3 days we finally located the mystery tranny filler plug. The location is on the drivers side hidden by the CV drive shaft by a aluminum curved plate that has to be removed.

4).The cover to the driver side tranny plug was removed and is on the ground in the pic.

5). Then tranny filler plug was then removed with a 17mm hex indented plug adapter. Make sure you clean the threads of the tranny and tranny plug very well.

6). Removed the filler tranny plug (w/17mm bolt adapter)

7). Filling tranny with RedLine 75w-90 MTL 90. (Make sure you elevate the bottle so the filler hose will not get kinked and flows good.

8). After tranny filled (2.538 qts) everything was put back together and tested on test drive and the new fluid some be broke in about 100 miles from what I have read.

I hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default one thing.. NEVER take the drain plug out first.

make sure the fill plug will come out and is not stuck/stripped first

kuz if it is stripped...you are now stuck with a empty tranny

after looking at the pics... 3 things...

2nd, are you sure Redline is safe in our Trannys? Motul is what most of us use. IIRC Redline is not safe for "yellow" metal.

3rd...GET RID OF THAT FRAM OIL FILTER (yes I am yelling) Fram are CRAP, get yourself a good German filter. Mahle or Mann. Be advised AAH and AFC use different filters due to different oil pressure bypass valves required in respective filters.

Last edited by Luxus Panzer; 04-08-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yeah for real haha your oil deserves an oil filter as german as your beautiful car. thank you so much for documenting your experience. and just in time because my trans fluid change was my next project. i will be changing the filter as well so ill let u guys know how it goes.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Redline MT-90* [GL4] is safe, that is what I put in some 6 years ago or something and it is great. Smooth shifts no matter the temp, never a slip.
They have GL5 for front/rear axles which is not recommended for the manual transmission per Audi guidelines.

Ditto at the Fram, cheapest POS filter you can buy. I had one explode on my BMW, never again as I learned my lesson. The filter media is low grade, the retainer is plastic instead of metal, the casing is micro-thin metal,probably recycled.

Discoveries are fun, yep the fill plus is behind the aluminum CV protector plate and as I recall it takes a 17mm hex I think.

I had to round up a Matco truck to get one that size.

*Safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage.
Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)
Old 04-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

come to find out theres no trans filter so full speed ahead on the fluid service this weekend =]
Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Can't say I ever seen a filter on a manual transmission, not needed with the gears plus 75-90 would never go through the media and the reason the housing is one unit.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ya im a learning mechanic i just found out manual trannys dont have filters =] but i found the fill and drain plug on my quattro and the fill plug is a 6 point torx bit and its behind the tranny brackets and the drain plug is at the dead bottom of the tranny and its a weird 12 point tamper proof torx, noone at my shop has seen that before. i dunno what to do. i think im gonna have to mess it up to get it off and hope i have a plug to replace it with...darn it
Old 04-14-2012, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The 12 point is called 'triple square' do not use a torx or you will strip it. You can find triple square at most auto part store. Lisle make an inexpensive set.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-60750-Po.../dp/B0002NYC0Y
Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Been ages since I did mine but I don't recall it being a triple, I know the drain was a fairly large allen and I can't remember the side.

Not unlike Audi to use different plugs depending on production date/model.

Nice thing about standards, fill it and forget it granted you use top quality synthetic gear oil and not walmart brand goop.

Redline is worth the few extra bucks, like butter even at -25F.

Quick Reply: DIY manual tranny fluid change write up for Audi 90 12v V6 (93'-95')