Don't like the quattro in my b3 90q

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't like the quattro in my b3 90q

So after driving my 88 90q in the snow with all seasons and snow tires I can honestly say I'm not impressed,Maybe it's cause I'm used to my Subaru's awd systems. But I noticed that my awd seems to be rwd bias and that not all four wheels seem to get power all the time unless I'm purposely sliding sideways( love awd rooster tails in the snow.) Before I figured out my rear locking diff button it seemed that one front wheel and one rear wheel will spin and that it moves power side to side front to back. I also noticed that the locking rear diff cuts off when u hit 20 mph weather your moving or spinning. So since ima have to pull my trans here soon for a clutch and other routine stuff I thought I might swap in a newer quattro system out of a 95 b4 quattro since it looks like that's when they changed some things. Any thoughts on this? Honestly the awd is something I'd sell this car over. I have awd vehicles for a reason lol.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

IIRC our cars are front bias and not the rear. you have to get used to driving the quattro and learn how to control it. and what you are describing is exactly how this car is setup.
the lock disengages at 20 mph unless you cut the speed input wire into the control box, you'll have to STFA for which one it is. B3 and B4 uses the same drivetrain design, just different rear diff. there are couple upgrades though, you can use a LSD pumpkin from a V8 sedan in your rear diff (STFA motorgeek for those details) or if you can get your hands on a 6 speed manual, that has upgraded center diff and LSD rear diff... but i dont exactly know whats required for a b3 6 speed conversion.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got ya ill search about the speed wire and the 6 speed swap. It would be nice to have that extra gear to bring my highway cruising rpms. 3800 rpm at 80 mph is weird lol. And the speed limit here in Wyoming is 80 so 85 mph is about 4100 rpm lol. I'm hoping we don't have much more snow this year so I can get the thing finished. It hates the cold mornings lol
Old 02-14-2016, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

search for something like rear diff lock mod or something like that. or someone that has done this may pitch in at some point in time.
the 6 speed conversion is a bit costly, unless you can find a cheap 01E 6 speed trans. and i know what you mean by those RPM, that was part of my excuse for getting a 6 speed (still need to do the swap) plus quicker acceleration and just batter control of the vehicle.
if you want something on the cheap, find a torsion rear diff from audi V8
Old 02-19-2016, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

here is a little explanation on the torsen diff
Quick and Easy: How does a Torsen Diff work?
Old 02-19-2016, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the diff lock box located under the rear seat, in the middle, the one with the vacuum hoses
the vehicle speed speed wire is white/blue.

transmissions that might work: http://quattro4life.com/images/GearRatios.JPG

torsion rear diff from audi V8 is not lockable and its fragile.
On the B3/B4 chassis you have to fit the V8 diff into the original casing, swapping the crown wheel over. You also have to use both V8 output flanges. Bit of a lottery as to whether you need to adjust the bearing pre-load and backlash, but certainly needs checking.