Gauge Cluster Doesn't Work. Might Be Short Circuiting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Doesn't Work. Might Be Short Circuiting?

So, I been driving around without knowing how much fuel I have, shifting by the sound of the engine, and trying to stay behind other drivers for the last month and a half.

It started out as every once in a while the gauge cluster would just decide to not work for a while. It would come back when it got lonely.

Then it started blowing fuses. Once a month to once every three months.

Now it is to the point where I put the fuse in. Wait for the engine to warm up then I put the car into reverse and goes right through the fuse. I even tried a 20A fuse because I thought maybe it wouldn't blow that one but even the same blew right through it.

I will test to see if I can just manually back my car up (push without shifting into reverse) and drive it maybe it wont blow through fuses. I used to hear the car lock every time I put the car into reverse now it doesn't do that.

I read in the forums that it could have something to do with the cigarette lighter. Since I smoke and use the lighter sometimes, maybe that could mess with it. If I cut the wires and nipple them off will that probably solve the problem or is there actually a short somewhere that the wiring harness is rubbing on some metal on the frame?

Any insight is always appreciated.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds like a broken wire on the reverse light switch..on the transmission..being an Audi, it is in tough spot..as usual..maybe you can get at it from the battery tray.

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 08-17-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thank You For Your Prompt Response Rusty Spokes

I did try what I was saying. I took the Cigarette lighter out and manually backed my car up. I also turned off the automatic dome light (when its dark the car would light up when the door is opened). The dome light is the only really significant thing I have done to the car aside from driving it.

I took off down the road and my speedometer gave out. BUT, the tach and the rest of the gauges were working fine. I was still super happy. I got onto the main street and the speedometer kicked in again and has been working since.

I recall the speedometer goes in and out on occasion but rarely did the car blow fuses. The cause was probably messing around with the dome light.

I also tried reverse and the car doesn't blow the fuse. It's a temporary fix until I can find the root of the cause. I have so much work to do on this dang vehicle to bring it back to acceptable health though so I am just pleased the gauge cluster works even if needing to disable other things.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Similar issue on my '89 80q: reverse light switch plugged into the transmission was bad and was causing the cluster to short when I put the car in reverse. I unplugged the switch's wire bundle where it wants to come up into the engine bay and plug into the block's area near the crankshaft vent hose. Problem ceased but at the cost of having no backup lights. So I bought a new switch and had a mechanic install it, not being able to reach down there on the transmission; he was able to get it via the engine bay and not by jacking the car up; guess I could have done it. Drove it home and put it in reverse, and the cluster fuse immediately shorted. Sigh. Guess the original switch was ok after all and something else is going on. This all started suddenly with nothing related. No other problems on the car.