Mystery Rear Oil/ Fluid Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Rear Oil/ Fluid Leak?

I am hoping someone can shed some light on a leak that has developed on my 94 Cabriolet. I just noticed it the other day while checking on my car in storage. A small wet/oily spot under the rear of the car almost dead center under the trunk. It seems to be coming from a black round plastic access of some type. It is well past the rear suspension area so I'm not sure what it is for. Due to fact it is in storage I was unable to investigate further.
Hoping someone can tell me what I was looking at and possible cause.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2016, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

That one is odd..there are a gaggle of fuel lines around the fuel pump..but not dead center under the trunk.

It could be your pump for the power top though, the reservoir on the end will crack and leak. The fluid has run down into the middle and leaked out the plastic cap.

Time to remove the spare tire and investigate.

If the reservoir cap is leaking, you can remove the nuts front and back on the pump (easier on later cabriolets as there is a port to get to the front holding nut) then lift it up and replace. Part number 8G0898101

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 10-28-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rusty
Decided to bring it home and investigate. Pulled out the spare tire and sure enough full of hydraulic fluid and it was seeping through the plastic cap. I'm assuming it is the reservoir but looking at the pump I'm not sure how to get it out. I see a nut at the rear, however, not sure how to get at front bolts. I'm also curious if the whole unit including the frame comes out?

Old 10-28-2016, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry about the large pics. I will address that next time...
Old 10-28-2016, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't know what year model you have. The early cars did not have a port in the frame to get to that front bolt.

Later models..like 1997-1998 here in the USA got a port to get to that nut:

When you get that front nut loose (very fiddly without the port in the frame, the fuel tank is in the way..it can be done though..don't remove the fuel tank..loosen it and use whatever short wrenches or 1/4 inch sockets it takes or..it is said there are three nuts on the backside under the pump bracket..see that last picture with the pump out with the front bracket..should be under the car to get to those nuts) then pull the pump up and you can get to the reservoir and replace the cover. It is on the bottom front of the pump.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And when you get back together..you check the fluid level in the pump..should be at the MAX mark, top closed..you will have to run the top up and down a few times to remove any air in the system..refill with that Pentosin expensive fluid.

Here is a link in German;Audicabrio.info - Hydrauliköl kontrollieren
Old 10-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rusty
I have a 94 and no port hole. I have it all apart now. I see the fuel tank is in the way and will need to be loosened. The rear bolt is quite hard to get at as well. It looks as if the rear bumper needs to be removed to get at the rear bolt. Any ideas or tricks at getting rear bumper off? I have loosened the 6 bolts in the trunk but not sure how it comes off.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rusty/ Others

Well I continued to press on with getting the power top pump out of my 94 Cabriolet. I managed to get the rear bolt loosened off.

The front bolt is whole different story! I removed the rear wheel and and wheel well plastic to see if I can access the bolts that hold the pump frame from there. No joy, they do not come through. I did loosen the fuel tank straps and try to move the tank a bit to get to the bolt, however, I can not figure out how to a wrench/ socket get in there.

I am hoping someone can shed a bit of light on how to and how far to adjust the fuel tank as well as what type of wrench or socket to build to maneuver in there to loosen off that front bolt.

Thanks

P.S As I was removing all the trunk liners I found this in a plastic bag in the bottom by the spare. Any idea what it is for?

Old 10-29-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That find you have is a "jumper" for doing the blink codes if your check engine light is on..a handy tool.

Try going under the car and look up in the right rear wheel well area and see if the three nuts for the front bracket are there. See that image I did up top..it shows the front bracket still attached to the pump..with three studs..that is how that fellow got the pump out.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rusty

Those 3 bolts do not come through. They must just screw into a hallow bulkhead type of thing. Any idea on which way to maneuver the fuel tank? It does not have a lot of play in it's position even when the straps are loosened. I do have 2/3 of a tank so I will definitely burn of most of the fuel before try again! Curious how Audi directs to change out this pump. Fuel tank removal?
Anyhow, I quite sure this is the issue so I will order the part and tackle trying to get at the front bolt once I have the part so I can remove, repair and replace at the same time.

As for the "jumper", I think I'll put it in glove box where I know where it is if needed!

Quick Reply: Mystery Rear Oil/ Fluid Leak?