Need To Replace Brakes Soon. Suggestions Please?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need To Replace Brakes Soon. Suggestions Please?

I bought this car in November 2014 for $300. I went to smog it and the Technician said it had blue smoke out of the exhaust and there were no catalytic converters. This wasn't my first rodeo of buying a car and dumping endless money in to get it to smog. I have been paying insurance since then and I finally got it to pass. At the end it cost me $1500 for a registered car.

Anyway back to the question. I bought this car I love it and plan on keeping it for a long time. In all honesty, I have never replaced brakes on any of my vehicles. I did work at a used car dealership for a while and have replaced them on a few other vehicles. I didn't do the greatest job because I worked for free and my boss wanted me to work faster. I can probably research on my own the best way to replace the brakes but if someone wants to give me a procedure for it I would appreciate it because I want to take my time and do it right.

But, I want to know if maybe any of you have suggestions on which brake pads and rotors to buy. I do not need performance just something that will last a long time. I have noticed some of the front brake pads have sensory wires hanging off of them. I am wondering if these are necessary for my Audi or if they can benefit the car in any way. Does my car have a sensor light that comes on when a brake pad sensor touches the rotor? My engine designation code is AFC maybe you can go off of that? I listed the car below in my signature at the bottom "Anna-Nina".

I have shopped around on ebay but, are there better places to buy pads/rotors? Ebay had a full package for $170 shipped. Has semi-metallic pads with drilled/slotted rotors. In no way close to OEM and I think they aren't very good quality but that is affordable for me.

I also need to flush the brake/clutch system. I hear they are both one reservoir. Do I need to use something different than regular DOT 3 brake fluid?

I really do appreciate any help you guys can give. I will try to stay active in this forum. When I passed smog with my RX7 I shut down and stopped working on my own car. I think I was burnt out on it and I really am not all that proud of my RX7 because it always runs like Forrest Gump with his leg braces on.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Brakes are one place rockauto can be helpful. RA can be a minefield of crappy parts and some jewels too.

I did get Brembo rotors front and rear for my 1998 Cabriolet there..about $12 each on closeout. You have to watch as the deals come and go.

Front brake pads..I don't know if your car has the warning sensors..I doubt it. If you get front brake pads with sensors and don't need them..just clip the wires at the pad.

I went through two or three front brake pads till I found a set I liked. A set of EBC UD419 Ultimax that I got from Amazon for $11 free shipping. That deal is gone now..the pads are about $65 now.

Going over to RA..you can get some AUTOSPECIALTY / KELSEY-HAYES 2236201 AXXIS DELUXE PLUS front brake pads for $7

You can get front brake rotors RAYBESTOS 96428R ..probably good ones..for $27 each.

You can get very good deal on BREMBO 25112 rear rotors for $12 each.

And I used BENDIX RD228 Global Ceramics on the rear of my car..works very well..$11

That comes up to about $96 plus shipping. Be careful with RA on shipping and try and get all the parts shipped from the same place. The shipping can get expensive if you do not watch out. Experiment with your cart and different vendors.

Double check your part numbers and the pictures on the RA website too. From time to time I will get something not as described or three brake pads in a box instead of four..RA customer service has been very helpful and refunded or replaced the duff parts no problem..just check right away when you get the parts..after 30 days you are out of luck.

You can get DOT3/4 brake fluid at your local parts store. I like the Valvoline brake fluid..easy to find and quality.

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 05-21-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what Rusty said
i run EBC pads on all my cars and motorcycles, love them, but be ready to pay. For a D.D. i usually stick with green stuff, check amazon, rockauto, ebay.
for rotors, i would recommend brembo for good, reliable, solid rotors. ATE premium ones if you want slightly more in helping you stop. and if you really want to stop, get EBC rotors, but that's expensive.
Use dot 3 or 4, which ever you like, but flush the system, it make take you 2-3 times to get most of the crud out if it has been neglected.