Power window issue

Old 03-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window issue

Took the Cabo out for a run today and discovered the door power window switches won't work. All 4 on drivers side and 1 on pass side, nothing! I have never had an issue with the windows before. The center "all" switch works fine. This tell me that all the motors etc. are fine. Is there a fuse or relay that I can't find? Is here some sort of lock that I accidently hit? Any ideas would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

That center window switch lowers the windows via the control unit for the convertible top. Good news..that is working.

The window switches on the door have a different control..via relays and power.

Under the drivers side kick panel..the supplemental fuse/relay panel look for the thermal fuses. Your problem could be a faulty thermal fuse S 43 (30A)

While you are there..pull relay #367 and check the contacts..those relays have a reputation for cold solder points too. Be sure the pins are clean and pull the plastic cover off and look for discolored solder points.

Look at page 8 for the wiring diagram. see the link: http://12v.org/urs/1996_Audi_Cabriol...g_Diagrams.pdf

Some advise from the UK: https://www.audifans.net/ftopict-38530-.html

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 03-11-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

The switches themselves can go bad on the driver's door and that will knock out the entire system. You have to isolate any bad switches by removal and replacement. Cheap at junkyards.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

bradwilcox
I will try that next, I guess just remove one at a time to figure out the bad one?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rusty Spokes

Under the drivers side kick panel..the supplemental fuse/relay panel look for the thermal fuses. Your problem could be a faulty thermal fuse S 43 (30A)

While you are there..pull relay #367 and check the contacts..those relays have a reputation for cold solder points too. Be sure the pins are clean and pull the plastic cover off and look for discolored solder points.

I have removed the panel, however, can not find the fuse you referred to? I can't find the number 367 relay as well.

Here is a pic of my panel.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, I am now really confused. I checked both 30A fuses and they are good. I cleaned all switches thoroughly. I decided to do some more trouble shooting and this is what I discovered.

1. The center "all" switch controls all windows just fine. Up and down perfectly.

2. If I use the "all" switch and the windows are going up or down I can stop any window with it's door switch ( both driver's side and pass side) by using the opposite direction.

From this I can gather power from switches is getting to motors because they are stopping the windows when the "all" switch is commanding them up or down. The door switches will just not raise or lower the windows?

Any ideas?
Old 03-16-2017, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That 367 relay should be the big double size relay..on the right..looks like yours has 363 on it in the picture..hard to tell.

If it is a 363 relay..that one is for an Audi 80/90 hardtop window relay..which is wired for a sunroof..I do not know if is a valid repair relay for a Cabriolet. Might work..might not. Your car should have a part number 8G0959257A "367" relay in that position

The thermal fuses are the green silver small rectangular boxes just below the big relays. One should have red and the other red/white wires..check them both.

The center "all" switch works a different circuit to the power windows..through the convertible top control unit..that is why that works fine.

The window switches in the door are on a different circuit through that relay 367 (or in your car 363?)..your issue is there in that circuit. Here is a link on the 363 relay repair:Window Relay 363 contact cleaning. - S2Forum - The Audi S2 Community

Working the all switch and the window switches at the same time is just causing some feedback and allowing you to stop the windows.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

If one or more door switches are shot, cleaning won't help them. Find some cheap spares by searching local junkyards on row52.com.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If there is any doubt about the function of the door mounted window switches..shop around for part number 4A0959855A about $7 each over on RockAuto
Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Rusty Spokes

Good news, windows fixed.
I ended up removing the module and slipping the cover off. I didn't notice any solder missing or broken. I put it back together and went to put it back in. I noticed that the left hand "receiving" portion of the fuse/ relay panel was out a wee bit. I pushed it back in and plugged the module in. I then tried the windows and everything worked. I guess with the receiving portion out a bit the connection was not being made behind it. Anyhow, thanks for all the help, glad to have working windows again.

Now, time to tackle that power roof hydraulic pump reservoir cap!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power window issue