1994 cabriolet roof problem

Old 04-28-2013, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 cabriolet roof problem

Hi, just bought my first audi cabriolet but there is a problem with the roof, with the car running i release the handle and then operate the roof button, the windows come down and the rear window raises the hatch lifts a few inches and stops, thats it nothing else, please help, i've been reading other threads but can't seem to make any headway.
My car is a 1994 2.6 originally from hong kong but i don't think that should make it any different than a uk car
Old 04-28-2013, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by steve toppo
Hi, just bought my first audi cabriolet but there is a problem with the roof, with the car running i release the handle and then operate the roof button, the windows come down and the rear window raises the hatch lifts a few inches and stops, thats it nothing else, please help, i've been reading other threads but can't seem to make any headway.
My car is a 1994 2.6 originally from hong kong but i don't think that should make it any different than a uk car
prob needs fluid in the motor for the top the motor is in the trunk and u can see if the fluid is low
Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Try lowering the windows before you release the latch. After you release the latch, push the front of the top up as far as you can while sitting in the driver's seat. Then press down on the rear of the control switch. (The control switches get brittle with age, so pulling up the front of the switch rather than pushing down on the rear of the switch may eventually break it.) Also, lubricating the top mechanism when you purchase a used convertible is always a good idea. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by frank manzo
prob needs fluid in the motor for the top the motor is in the trunk and u can see if the fluid is low
Hi, i've checked the fluid and the levels seem to be correct
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

The short answer is your trunk wires are broken. The bundle needs to be split open and the broken wires repaired. The long answer is the top sequence is at the point where the trunk (boot)is locked by the comvertible top control module (CTCM), and then checked to see if it is indeed locked. If one of those signals is interrupted, the CTCM shuts down the top function. While a Vag-Com is EXTREMELY helpful for system diagnosis, you can fix this without one. The central locking system plays a function in this system also. It must work, as the CTCM essentially tells the central locking system to lock the trunk. There was a design change on the trunk lock from pneumatic to electric around your year, so that bears looking at. Use your key and lock the doors at the drivers side. Test the trunk to see if it is locked. That tests the central locking system. Then try the top again. Do the same at the trunk lock and try the top again, just to eliminate that possibility. At this point, as a minimum, if the top stops, your trunk locked wire is bad. Here's a couple of pages from an Audi training manual that I have. Look up my old posts to find more.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Page 20.pdf (1.62 MB, 125 views)
File Type: pdf
Page 21.pdf (1.55 MB, 143 views)
Old 05-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hubturn is right but this is maybe if not a "worse" than a "not so easy case scenario". The problem may be solved a lot easier. I had the same issue on my cabby and checked everything, topped off the fluid, and even fixed some wires to finally find out that it was an unplugged connector inside the trunk lid that plugs into central lock. When I plugged it back to the connector on the lock my roof started working again. So before splitting and fixing wires open your trunk, remove the cover and check the plug. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

You are dead on right Lord-o-t-Rings. Trouble shooting this system requires starting from a known position - like, "I know all the switches are connected becuse I checked them." Even in your case though, it came down to wiring, as in disconnected wiring. I'm the only one I know of who had a pump motor problem.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Try locking the door with the key while sitting in the car. Then attempt to raise the top. I spent days trying to figure it out. Mine did the very same thing your explaining. Now it works fine.