Rebuilding a legacy

Old 03-11-2017, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding a legacy

As one of my last acts of adolescent ignorance, I hope, I blew up something in the bottom end of my engine, this was almost five years ago:

During some spirited driving I felt a loss of power, and pulled over to hear a knocking sound at about half the engine speed. I Had decided on the drive after getting the car back from a mechanic for some clutch work, and didn't check the oil before doing so. Rookie mistake, I won't do that again.

I had owned the car for about 5 years previous, and was very attached; it had endured looks of contempt from at least two jealous girlfriends, whom the Audi outlasted. I had spent a lot of time researching and fixing parts for which there was no OEM replacement, as well as diagnosing and fixing problems local mechanics wouldn't even try. I had a complete stage2 tune with big MAF, 30mm exhaust, and a racing radiator, among other upgrades. I love this car, then I blew it up.

Fast forward to 2017, and now I have a garage. After paying Uhaul my left arm and leg, I finally was able to haul her across the state to her and my new home. Now the rebuilding begins. In the interim I have replaced a couple head gaskets of sohc and dohc 4 cylinder engines, thus, I have increased my mechanical skill level, at least 20hp+.

I'm gearing up for a 7A (early '90) engine rebuild. With my limited mechanical understanding, I'm guessing the main bearings went, and probably some piston rings citing the lack of power. I've also heard the crankshaft will warp if the heat is bad enough, which it probably was. I have yet to dig into the bottom end of an engine, but I am eager to get started.

I have an engine stand already and plan to rent a engine hoist, but I am wondering if there are any pertinent issues I will run into, while getting the engine out. Also, I found an advert on CL where dude is selling a grip of VW tools for the 7A rebuild, like seal seating tools and shaft removal tools; somebody please tell me I should buy them and do the rebuild myself. Please, because I'll do it.

Also, are there any transplant opportunities I should look into, if I were to replace the 7A? I've heard the 3B (20v turbo?) out of the big body audi is worthy. I have a lot into this engine, and I might also look for a donor for the bottom end, thought I am skeptical. I expect to need the whole thing rebuilt, proper-like with machining and honing of the block.

Thanks for any input, suggestions, criticisms, whatev...

Cheers
Old 03-12-2017, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your enthusiasm is commendable but I would recommend you locate a skilled and highly recommended European auto mechanic and engine rebuilder to diagnose the problem and perform a complete engine rebuild if necessary.

German car engines are complex and parts are expensive. For a long term satisfactory result I think you need a professional.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Though my finances are limited, my timeline not so much. I have found the interwebs and this forum to be a vast resource of information, providing what I need to maintain and repair my trusty rally car.

If I had to use her as a daily, I would certainly take your advice, but as it is I think she's going to turn into a race car. I would find more value in rebuilding it, breaking it, and rebuilding it again, rather than paying for the long-term reliability that comes with a professional rebuild. Though only a self-proclaimed mechanic, I am well researched and motivated; this will not be a study in efficiency, but it will get done.

Another possibility I was kicking around, was a blown head gasket. It's buried well and proper down there, but since I don't have an engine hoist yet, I thought I'd take a look. I was just about there, when I stripped one of the head bolts. :facepalm:

Does anyone have anything to offer on this? I'm not trying to convince myself of an easy fix, but what is the probability that this could only be a head gasket issue?

Thanks again,
Old 03-14-2017, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

oooo, haven't seen this in a while:-)
welcome to, you lost your marbles, and honey, ill be in the garage club :-D

1st of all, you can never have enough tools! even if she says you have to many tool, YOU DONT!!!!!!

2. just purchase an engine hoist, i got one for 125 delivered for my door that will do 2 ton from CL.

3. get a bantley or some sort of repair manual. us gassing what's wrong with your car without any tests is like trying to to hit a squirrel in pitch black Siberian forest.

4. you dont have enough tools... or did i mention that already? well, you dont!

5. I5 20vt or even a 1.8t from an early b5 is an easy swap, plenty of upgrades and a dime a dozen at this point

6. if it's knocking, it aint a head gasket, sorry!

7. get more tools and a manual ;-)

8. keep us updated as it's been a while since someone did something interesting around here
Old 03-18-2017, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Technical discussion (problems) aplenty!!!

Ahh yes, there's the old forum I remember! I was worried it was looking a little... sheepish?

Where's the blind ambition? The head scratching? Where are the bloody knuckles, thrown tools, and desperate pleas for technical expertise?!

Must be time for a new project.

First, I remember back in the day when audi20v.net hosted a digital version of the 80/90 repair manual, does anybody do this still? I had at one point, copied every single page to a hard drive, which met its untimely end at the hands of afore mentioned jealous ex-girlfriend. Coincidence, probably not. I definitely miss that manual. In the interim I have procured the Chilton Import Repair Manual, covering Acura-VW, with pretty detailed instruction. It's just not as good as the digital copy I had earlier. I would love any suggestions on where to find a good Bently manual, hard copy or digital.

Second, the 1.8t swap is appealing, and probably more accessible than the 20vt. Of course I would have to rebuild my na20v for when I blew up the 1.8t, but it seems doable. Will have to research, but perhaps I can find one of these motors on the cheap.

Needs some more tools, check.

Finally, thanks for the motivation! I shall offer many pictures and discussion in trade. Any input is much appreciated, especially since it seems a little quiet around here.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

What is an early vs. late 1.8t, and what is/are the differences that define whether or not it will fit into the 7A hole.

I'd hate to get all turbo'd out, then miss my low end torque of the 20v; if my budget is around $1000 for up front costs, with more trickling in with time, will I hate myself for swapping in a 1.8t? I'm getting preemptive swap envy of the engine I already have...

ahhh indecision!?!?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

hehehehe i love planting horable ideas into other peoples heads, muahahahaha:-)
so my knowladge on this swap is related to a b4. which other than a few minor things like the engine mounts and radiator mounts is the same as b3. so keep that in mind.
for b4, the best course of action is to find an early 1.8t manual A4 (vw passat will probobly work just as well) just about everything swaps over except a down pipe, and you have to use engine mounts form european 1.8 b4 cab(ebay or FB) if you can find a donor for $600-800, you can probobly brake even by parting the car out. or another option is your pick and pull, i can get a motor from my for about $250, but by the time you count all the hoses and other BS, you just spend $600-800
or you can do a TDI swap, but you are on your won with that one
Old 03-21-2017, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Literally have been researching all night; I found somewhere that says the 7A mounts are what you need for the 'early' 1.8t conversion into a B3. Plus front rad mounts from a fwd 80/90.

I still don't know what the definition is between early and late 1.8t engines; I've seen engine code AWB on CL for sale, BUT the seller said it was the wrong engine for his car. coincidence? don't think so,

So far, I'm looking for '90s B5 Manual A4s and Passats for donor cars, and I'm assuming that the ecu's are the same, but we all know about assumptions.

I'd LOVE to have an OBD2 port to hook up some VCDS :drool:

I'll remember to save links next time.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i dont know about the engine mounts, but for the radiator, any B4 will do
as for ECUs.... i have no idea, but vag-com is the same for eather one. The Project Pad ? View topic - 1995 90 quattro V6 to 1.8t Conversion
Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

actually, just talked to the guy that did this conversion, you should be able to find a B3 with 4 cylinder engine and rip the mounts out, or order a set from europe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilding a legacy