flush (and clean) cooling system??

Old 04-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flush (and clean) cooling system??

hello forum.. my car is almost 20years old, and i am pretty sure, it never had , its cooling system flushed...
also, the "heater" does not produce any heat at all, so i suppose that is cloged... so i guess i have to do a cooling system flush... any tips on how i can do this??
i know that i will have to add a cleaning solution, inside the coolant, and run the car , with it for some time, and then flush the coolant, and rinse with clean water...

where i leave, i cant really find any solution of this kind that would work... so, i wander, what kind of cleaner, would it be ok, to insert in the coolant system??
(dish washer? hair shampoo? plz dont make fun of me if this is stupid :P )
Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

lol, first of all, ad your car to the sig.
what ive done before on my b4 v6 is: drain the coolant, all the hoses, the engine drain plug, radiator drain plug. get a garden hose and just flush out the heater core from the two hoses (the crap that came out of that... ow boy) do the same thing to all the other hoses you can get your hands on. after that fill with water and radiator cleaner from autozone, follow instructions to the "t"! flush with hose again and fill with fresh mix of G12
its a good couple weekends project, but you will benefit from it in a long run
Old 04-06-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Mercedes has a citric flush for radiators. However, if the heater core is truly plugged, I kinda doubt you'll get away with anything except a replacement, Setra.

Depending on what model year your car is, you might need the G11 coolant (blue/green).

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

cool so, first i have to unglog the heater core, and then apply the cleaning solution... makes sense, cause if it was gloged, then the solution wouldent get there :P a couple of questions:
1) how do i "open the valve that lets the coolant, through the heater core" ? i am not sure, but i think its an electric valve (my car does not have AC). i need to have the key on ACC, and the heater **** set to "hot" ?? i guess... maybe i need the blowermotor "on" as well??

2)in order to clean the engine block, i need to remove the thermostat?? where is it located? i suspect its under the car... (by the way, after a long drive, when i park the car, i can see coolant leak, under the car. not much tho. i have checked all the hoses, and they seem dry... so i guess the only place i havent looked is the themrostat? )

3) what should i use, insted of those cleaners, if i cant get my hands on them??

thanks!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:25 AM
No Bozos!

As posted above, you need to let us know hat car. Depending on the year there are different engines. Hose configurations are different.

Before you do anything you should find where the leak is coming from. If you have a failing water pump, you may likely be taking it to a shop to have it replaced. No sense replacing your coolant then having to have it done all over.

In any case, however you do it, the core needs to be unclogged or replaced. If you can locate the two smaller heater hoses under the hood, they can be used to flush it with a hose. If you have a heater control valve it needs to be open for that to work. Once flushed, do the whole system then add a coolant system cleaner. Flush and fill with coolant. I only use G12.

More details to follow when we know what you've got.