1988-1991 Audi 80/90 foglight??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988-1991 Audi 80/90 foglight??

Does anybody by chance have a right side factory foglamp for the above vehicle? My 1990 90 has a cracked lense and the mount tabs are cracked. Fall has arrived and with it the darkness here in the north, so I'm needing to replace it. Thanks in advance!

Rgds,
DougM
Old 09-30-2013, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are hard to come by but the driver side usually take more punishment.
That said I checked car-part and the only one they show is in OR, 386 miles from you.
That is rough, and they wanted $85 for it without even a grade.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Isn't the B4 foglight the same?

Originally Posted by IdahoDoug
Does anybody by chance have a right side factory foglamp for the above vehicle? My 1990 90 has a cracked lense and the mount tabs are cracked. Fall has arrived and with it the darkness here in the north, so I'm needing to replace it. Thanks in advance!

Rgds,
DougM
Isn't the B4 foglight the same? I will check tonight, I have some in a box, plus a '93 B4 I need to start parting out.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default B3 & B4 forg are Diff

fact
Old 10-22-2013, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

bummer - thanks for thinking of it. Saw that on a search. Considering I'd pay about that for a pair of much higher quality Hella 500 fog lamps with new crystal clear lenses, it's a bit much. I'm working on an aftermarket fog bracket design right now, actually. Thinking of wiring the hazed/cracked factory fogs just as DRL's.

DougM
Old 10-22-2013, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

B4 fogs are still available since they were on up to 1998 but ETKA shows B3 housing, glass or unit are all NLA.
Dropped the numbers in Gvap, nothing.

Real shame, I mean you get a broken glass and you can't even buy a new one?
Truly BS since fogs are actually a safety feature.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

These are kinda weird fogs from a design perspective. Leave it to Audi to screw up literally EVERY forward facing lamp. I mean the headlights on this model are truly a joke. These fogs are a sophisticated PES design, which uses a thick glass mask to focus the beam pattern. Great idea, right? Bosch invented this design and it's a good one. BMW uses it extensively and you can see the mask on a proper fog. But no, instead of simply putting a completely clear lense over it to get a beautiful beam pattern, they put a crappy 1960's level technology faceted lense over it which cut output and broke up the pattern. Grrr.

Anyhow, Audi's poor lighting is legendary and this model was one of the poster children for that reputation. I just got done installing a new radio head unit and while doing it I took the opportunity to install a factory fog light switch in the dash above it and wired it so I can easily add a pair of Hella driving lights to the bumper soon. I also ordered GE Nighthawks after discovering these lights use the evil 9004 bulbs, so very limited options. Grrr again.

I will be fabricating some metal mounts that will stick out the slot between the bumper and the thin body colored metal trim above it. I salvaged the entire front bumper off a donor car from the wrecking yard so I can use it to shape the mount, then simply pop mine off and install on the same night. Ha - at least that's how I've planned it. I'm sure a clip will break and foil that "quick" plan...

DougM
Old 10-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

These are kinda weird fogs from a design perspective. Leave it to Audi to screw up literally EVERY forward facing lamp. I mean the headlights on this model are truly a joke. These fogs are a sophisticated PES design, which uses a thick glass mask to focus the beam pattern. Great idea, right? Bosch invented this design and it's a good one. BMW uses it extensively and you can see the mask on a proper fog. But no, instead of simply putting a completely clear lense over it to get a beautiful beam pattern, they put a crappy 1960's level technology faceted lense over it which cut output and broke up the pattern. Grrr.

Anyhow, Audi's poor lighting is legendary and this model was one of the poster children for that reputation. I just got done installing a new radio head unit and while doing it I took the opportunity to install a factory fog light switch in the dash above it and wired it so I can easily add a pair of Hella driving lights to the bumper soon. I also ordered GE Nighthawks after discovering these lights use the evil 9004 bulbs, so very limited options. Grrr again.

I will be fabricating some metal mounts that will stick out the slot between the bumper and the thin body colored metal trim above it. I salvaged the entire front bumper off a donor car from the wrecking yard so I can use it to shape the mount, then simply pop mine off and install on the same night. Ha - at least that's how I've planned it. I'm sure a clip will break and foil that "quick" plan...

DougM
How do you like those ge headlights? I get my 90 back tomorrow and want to get new headlights asap, since I didn't get to mess with it over summer due to it being in the shop all summer. I don't want to get hid's but being out here in wyoming the more light the better lol. Thought about just doing an led light bar in the grille but not sure about it. Did you get your hella off road lights on? How does it look?
Old 11-01-2015, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Get the DEPO brand replacement lights, and some GE NightHawk bulbs and you'll be happy. No need for aux lights which is good because they're liable to be broken by someone parking and crushing them. These DEPOs are a great deal and put out a respectable pattern.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Get the DEPO brand replacement lights, and some GE NightHawk bulbs and you'll be happy. No need for aux lights which is good because they're liable to be broken by someone parking and crushing them. These DEPOs are a great deal and put out a respectable pattern.
Do you have a link to these lights? I've been trying to find them and can't find anything but used ones? Maybe I'm not searching right lol.

Quick Reply: 1988-1991 Audi 80/90 foglight??