1989 quattro coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 quattro coupe

Can anybody help me make a decision regarding what I should do with my car. Heres the story

July of last year I purchased a pearlescent white audi quattro coupe for £2000. I took it to a mate of mine who knows audis and he told me I needed the following. Cambelt and aux belt change, new radiator, new bushes all round, new engine strut, power steering hose. I've done most of that but have the following major problem.

I've been told the ABS is seriously unwell and the previous owner completely messed it up to get through an MOT. The engineer got his electrical expert in to look at it who said it could be a major problem all the way down to the ABS brain.

So I now have the following problems that need fixing:
ABS
P/steering hose
fuel pump (needs replacing)
Drivers side doorseals leak
Windscreen leaks like nothing else
steering rods bent (last weeek, hitting a kerb)
drivers electric window not working
bushes need replacing all round
cv joint
front radiator leak
needs a full service
has no history whatsoever.

I was told this would cost between £1200 and £2000 to get my car back to life. Other than the above the positive points are:

Great bodywork
Great interior
4 new tyres
quattro system working fine

My question to the posters on this forum is:

What would you do with it?
Old 06-20-2003, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default WHAT!!!...let's see how we can help here

first of all I hope the other people on this forum contribute to your problems as well as I know some of these but not all.

Now to start, ABS:
most common problem that people see when ABS does not work is claim the control unit is defect...
I have had this happen three of four times and is relatively easy considering the following points:
start car press ABS switch on and role car...
if ABS switches itself goes off...IE the ABS light goes on..then
-the sensors located at each wheel need to be cleaned...

first verify the situation..and then I will pass the report to you for what to do.

Second, POWER STEERING HOSE:
why does it need changing???

THIRD, FUEL PUMP: why does it need changing?
does the car stall? is fuel pressure irregular?
is the pump making irregular noises?

FOURTH, LEAKING SIDE DOOR SEALS:
check for rips, cracks, tears etc...
if they are just hard try some silicone rubber gel to revitalize the rubber.

FIFTH, windscreen leeking:
OOPPS I have no clue on this one ...maybe someone else here????

SiXTH,steering rods bent:
man for you to bend these you have to hit HARD...I mean really hard ..that the front end would be damaged!!!

SEVENTH, ELECRIC WINDOWS:
easy one to fix, first take a swith from a window that works and install it in window that does not ..
if it works now..it's your switch ..common desease on the switchs...
if it's not the switch it's your motor most common of this is the brushes are gone or the motor is seized.

Eight, BUSHES NEED replacing,
why were they worn?
if they have play remember that these cars maust have play at least on the rubber itself ..otherwise it would not be called a bush .or bushing..

NINTH, CV JOINT:
another one ...why? was the boot torn ?did you hear clicking while turning?

TENTH, RADIATOR LEAK:
good one!!! well obviously if it is leaking not much can be done on that...maybe a used one?

eleventh, NO SERVICE HISTORY:
BAD!!! timing belt is a must for sure.
I have done them myself allot easier then a V8 though.

HUUUUEEEEE!!! I wrote a book ...anybody else with comments:

Paul
Luxembourg
Old 06-20-2003, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Shoulda had the car checked out by your friend BEFORE you bought the money pit.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:01 AM

Default Re: WHAT!!!...let's see how we can help here

Hi Paul, first of all thanks for making the effort to answer my problem so in depth. I really appreciate it. My answers are under your questions

Now to start, ABS:
most common problem that people see when ABS does not work is claim the control unit is defect...
I have had this happen three of four times and is relatively easy considering the following points:
start car press ABS switch on and role car...
if ABS switches itself goes off...IE the ABS light goes on..then
-the sensors located at each wheel need to be cleaned...

The engineer who looked at my car said whoever bodged it has spent more time, effort and money that it would cost to replace the sensors. He's even taken the bulb out of the ABS switch as well (has never worked). His electrical expert looked at it too and said much the same.

Second, POWER STEERING HOSE:
why does it need changing???
There is a strange metallic tinkling noise coming from the steering wheel when its being used, it also moans like a hooker who hasn't been paid when on full lock. my friend told me it was the irregular shaped hose that leads to the steering rack and pump that needs replacing

THIRD, FUEL PUMP: why does it need changing?
does the car stall? is fuel pressure irregular?
is the pump making irregular noises?
Firstly, the pump has always made an annoying humming noise from day one. Lately its been a lot louder and I've been getting complete flat spots (no power, severe juddering when accelerating) at very inconvenient times from pulling out onto a road, to doing a steady 80 on the motorway. My engineer reccommended a new fuel pump.

FOURTH, LEAKING SIDE DOOR SEALS:
check for rips, cracks, tears etc...
if they are just hard try some silicone rubber gel to revitalize the rubber.
No rips or tears but they are quite hard, though.

FIFTH, windscreen leeking:
OOPPS I have no clue on this one ...maybe someone else here????
Its either a dodgy seal on the windscreen or a problem further down in the heating matrix area (so I've been told) I've had a passenger footwell full to the brim with water in the past, and when using a roundabout after rain I get huge puffs of steam coming through the heater vents

SiXTH,steering rods bent:
man for you to bend these you have to hit HARD...I mean really hard ..that the front end would be damaged!!!
Okay, but I have to hold the wheel approx 20 degrees further to the right than I did before I hit it. Took it to a tyre service who put it on the ramps to tell me I need an expert looking at it.

SEVENTH, ELECRIC WINDOWS:
easy one to fix, first take a swith from a window that works and install it in window that does not ..
if it works now..it's your switch ..common desease on the switchs...
if it's not the switch it's your motor most common of this is the brushes are gone or the motor is seized.
The motor makes a noise but it doesn't seem to grip the window at all. You can hear it trying.

Eight, BUSHES NEED replacing,
why were they worn?
if they have play remember that these cars maust have play at least on the rubber itself ..otherwise it would not be called a bush .or bushing..
Unsure, the car has been through about 6 owners and I was told by my friend and by the engineer that they need replacing.

NINTH, CV JOINT:
another one ...why? was the boot torn ?did you hear clicking while turning?
When I got my wheels balanced again after buying the new tyres thr tyre jockey said it had ripped.

TENTH, RADIATOR LEAK:
good one!!! well obviously if it is leaking not much can be done on that...maybe a used one?
I've already replaced the large radiator but the hosing leading to the front rad seems to be leaking and the front rad also looks very worn

eleventh, NO SERVICE HISTORY:
BAD!!!
its currently at 115000 miles which is very light for a 1989 vehicle
timing belt is a must for sure.
I have done them myself allot easier then a V8 though.
Timing belt already changed along with aux belts. New water pump to match.

I hope my answers have helped you to help me my friend. I awwait to hear your answers.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:05 AM

Default Re: 1989 quattro coupe

While I can't contribute directly, I can tell you to check out www.20V.org. Some GREAT info on repairs and common problems -- consider posting to those people as well. I have a Coupe, too...I guess all I can tell you is do as much research as possible on what REALLY needs to be done and weigh the pros and cons of putting that money into it...Good luck!
Old 06-20-2003, 08:57 AM

Default i'm no expert, but...

it seems to me that a lot of your problems are PO issues. work through them and you'll have a nice solid car.

i don't know how handy you are, or if you have tools, but most of the work left to be done are DIY items. changing a CV boot is easy and stright-forward. i've done it on the street parked in front of my house with basic tools (except for the the big socket and breaker bar). took all of 30 mins.

don't sweat the rusty aux radiator, mine looked the same, but never stopped working. if the hose is leaking, just reaplace the hose.

check under the hood near the fresh air intake to see if the drain is clogged. it might be overflowing into the fresh air intake and running into the ducting. if theres a bunch of caked up crap and a high-water line, thats probably the case. there should never be enough water in that area to pool if the drain is open.

steering off? get an alignmnet. trust me it does take quite a hit to bend audi suspension components. either way an alignment is in order. most places warranty those so if ur not running straight afterwards, replace the tie rod and get it re-aligned for free.

bushings can always wait, unless there metal on metal chirping, or unacceptable movement of components... the alignment to make that obvious quickly. otherwise wait on those till the car is mechanically sound.

is your hydraulic fluid level changing? is it low to start? flush (siphon) it and refill with new. see if that clears up the noise. in the very least the fluid needs to be changed anyway. if the problems persist, go ahead with the hose replacemnt, just move it to the bottom of the list.

seals was covered.

drivers windows. got a phillips screw driver? take the door panel off and look for yourself. chances are you can see the problem, and fix it on the spot. if not you'll definatly know what needs to be replaced to make it all good.

if i make any obvious errors i know they'll be pointed out. good luck

heybiff
Old 06-20-2003, 10:43 AM

Default As for the fuel pump....they are noisy to begin with and get

noisier as the warm weather arrives. (according to my dad who lives in england it is getting right hot there now!). You can try the fuel filter first, as if its quite clogged it can cause noticable drivability problems.

As for the radiator, yes they seem to spring leaks on the back side right where the hose inlet is, between the plastic and aluminum. Cannot be fixed, but I believe most (if not all) new rads are all aluminum (mine was), though if you can find a good used one that holds pressure, go for it.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:50 AM

Default That's why I do all the work myself and save major $$$$.... read on

The problems you mentioned are not that unusual for car that's 14 years old. Disregard Panzerwagen's remarks -- ALL cars are money pits.

ABS - remove the relay, fuhgetabout AB$
Window regulator - get used one and put in yourself
fuel pump - get new one, paye the $$, replace yourself - EZ to do
Steering rods - EZ replacement, align afterwards.
bushings - can they wait?
windscreen - in the US I can get it replaced along with the seal for $250. Maybe a windshield shop can just replace the window seal for you?
CV Joint - get a rebuilt axle and replace yourself.
Radiator leak - I bet it's leaking at the bottom support. This can be fixed. Make sure the radiator is secured and doesn't wobble afterwards.
FULL SERVICE - like what... a handshake and a body massage? ;-) Replace the plugs, plug wires, rotor, distributor cap and air filter. DIY again.

All of the above can be done in a weekend.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:41 PM
map
AudiWorld Member

Default If you like the car, fix it

I just spent $1,500 having my airconditioning replaced. I wasn't real happy about it, but the service manager made me feel better with the following statement, "That's less than two car payments on a new A6."

Since I replaced a 2000 A6 2.7T with this car, I feel a lot better.

Good Luck
Old 06-24-2003, 05:27 AM

Default Re: 1989 quattro coupe

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to this, but after throwing so much tme, money and effort at it over the last year I've made the ultimate sacrifice; the audi has to go. To make it worse I've bought something else (oh no, the horror, the humanity!!)....Alfa Romeo 145 Cloverleaf

What do you think i should do with the car now?

Quick Reply: 1989 quattro coupe