1990 80 quattro no start when warm

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 80 quattro no start when warm

So the guy I bought my 88 90 quattro from got me his 90 80 quattro from the kid he gave it to. It's having an issue where it wont start after its warm and won't idle at stop lights. He has replaced the fuel pump and filter, new injectors plugs wires and everything else that might cause this issue. But still nothing. I've read something about the fuel dist block getting plugged up and needing cleaned but it seems that would cause no starting all the time. It starts fine when cold but not when hot. I'm stumped. Even tried holding the gas down before starting.
I'm hoping that one of 3 things will happen.
1) that I can fix it cheep and use it to get back an forth to work so i can keep the 88 in its current mint condition. Especially during winter. The 80 was trashed by its current owner so not worried about getting damaged.
2) find out its another expensive fix and scavange all the good parts off the 80 for the 90 like the factory gauges under the radio,a cloth interior and full drive train not to mention another set of stock bbs wheels and other goodies.then ill scrap the body.
3) get it running cheep fix it up and let the wife drive it on bad winter days.

The 90 quattro is in the shop with a 2200 repair bill possible so I'm hoping I can get this 80 quattro running for cheep.

Last edited by Jiggie; 08-21-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry forgot to mention the specs. The car in question is a 1990 80 quattro 2.3 i5 man trans.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

It could be something electrical, I have a Audi 90 Quattro, B4(1995). They seem to have electrical demons, at-least mine. I would try to check relays, as-well as the wiring. Try to get the ODB1 codes? Does it crank?
Old 08-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hardipk5
It could be something electrical, I have a Audi 90 Quattro, B4(1995). They seem to have electrical demons, at-least mine. I would try to check relays, as-well as the wiring. Try to get the ODB1 codes? Does it crank?
It does crank. Runs and drives fine when its cold. After driving for a while you shut it off and it won't start again. I can't figure out how to get codes off either Audi. Then again no cel comes on either.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jiggie
It does crank. Runs and drives fine when its cold. After driving for a while you shut it off and it won't start again. I can't figure out how to get codes off either Audi. Then again no cel comes on either.
I'm sorry if im mistaken if our cars have more differences than i'm aware of but try giving this link a shot to understand how to read ODBI codes off your mil(check engine) light.
12v Pages - Maintenance

Also, it helps to know if the car cranks eliminates some possibilities. Like a bad starter or security system malfunction (sensors) etc. Have you checked the ignition switch? Tested the relays underneath the steering wheel?

Last edited by hardipk5; 08-24-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm sorry if im mistaken if our cars have more differences than i'm aware of but try giving this link a shot to understand how to read ODBI codes off your mil(check engine) light.
12v Pages - Maintenance

Also, it helps to know if the car cranks eliminates some possibilities. Like a bad starter or security system malfunction (sensors) etc. Have you checked the ignition switch? Tested the relays underneath the steering wheel?
Everything is fine when it first starts. Can get in drive wherr ever an ve fine. Till ii go to start it agaib then it just cransk but wont fire. Not getting any check engine light and i tried to pull codes but either can't get it right or there are no codes.
Ign switch and the multi switches were all replaced by 2nd to last owner. Thinking its the fuel temp sensor.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Could be a temp sensor (coolant, I don't think the NG has an air temp sensor like the turbo version gets), could also be a vacuum leak to the intake somewhere. Could be the WUR on the side of the block. CIS can be finicky but it treated me right. Look on SJM's site and see what he has, the turbo CIS cars had warm start issues also...
Old 08-25-2015, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jiggie
Everything is fine when it first starts. Can get in drive wherr ever an ve fine. Till ii go to start it agaib then it just cransk but wont fire. Not getting any check engine light and i tried to pull codes but either can't get it right or there are no codes.
Ign switch and the multi switches were all replaced by 2nd to last owner. Thinking its the fuel temp sensor.
What codes are you getting? You should get code "4444" at-least as the computer related okay codes from the sensors. Is there any noise you hear? check lines for fuel? The previous owner to my Audi replaced his ignition switch as-well but it still failed, the lights and radio didn't seem to work unless i jiggled the key. Replaced it and it works great, the firmness there there as-well. I went with a Standard Motors instead of oem...it works still for me.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What codes are you getting? You should get code "4444" at-least as the computer related okay codes from the sensors. Is there any noise you hear? check lines for fuel? The previous owner to my Audi replaced his ignition switch as-well but it still failed, the lights and radio didn't seem to work unless i jiggled the key. Replaced it and it works great, the firmness there there as-well. I went with a Standard Motors instead of oem...it works still for me.
I can't get any blinks. Looked at it today and all the vac lines fuel lines look good. Put a new ignition switch in it today. Drive it home for lunch went to leave and nothing. Fired once but died. Going to send this one to the same place the red one is. Lol ima have a paid for a new Audi buy the time thease are fixed. At least the red one is all vac leaks. Thank goodness