1994 Audi Cabriolet Convertible Problems

Old 02-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Audi Cabriolet Convertible Problems

Hello all!

I am still a newbie with both car repair and this forum, but I am really eager to learn. I have a 1994 Audi Cabriolet and I have a couple of problems that I'm trying to sort out, hopefully you guys will be willing to help me.

1. My passenger side suspension is not exactly in the best shape and I need to replace it. I brought it to the mechanic and he said that it would cost $1000+ to get one straight from Germany. I heard that VW and Audi parts are interchangeable, so I was wondering if I would be able to pick up the part locally (Canada). Are there any compatible models for the 1994 Cabrio? I've tried searching, but to no avail.

2. (Biggest problem) The convertible, is a big headache. Anyways, my convertible isn't working at all (If I follow all the prerequisites and then begin pressing the convertible button, nothing happens; no sound; nothing. I think the fuse it blown, if I am correct?) So, lately, I have tried to open it manually. But I have this huge problem with what I think is a Central Locking system problem. I can't even turn the "T-Latch" without doing the manual way (sticking the key into the hole behind the sun visor, thanks Rusty Spokes!) Anyways, after unlocking the FRONT top half and pushing it up. The back end of the convertible top doesn't move up at all. I heard that it was supposed to move with the hydraulics, but nothing happens. So I think that it is still locked with the whole car. (I've tried with the car on and off, same problem).

If any of you guys have any suggestion, I would greatly appreciate it. I love this car, but it is a true pain in the *** when it comes to repairing ahaha.

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-22-2015, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

what is actually wrong with your front suspension and what parts need to be replaced?
Old 02-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey CRAZY RUSSIAN,

The spring is the problem

Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-22-2015, 11:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Last time, the mechanic told me something about my passenger side spring being much shorter than my driver side one
Old 02-23-2015, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

that is strange, well, if the spring has sagged, its one thing, someone can probably find you one. if its your shock mount (a common problem on B3/B4 cars) that would be a different solution. if the spring is sagging, make a post on motorgeek, someone will have one kicking around ( i have a stock set of front springs for a b4q cs actually) but i dont know how and if they are different from the cab. i know the suspension setup is identical in just about everything, but i think the springs might be different when it comes to spring rates and hight. so i would do some digging. if its the shock mount, its a different story. take some measurements from the top of the fender to the ground. and take some pictures of the shock mount metal caps (may have to remove the plastic covers if they are still there)
Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey CRAZY RUSSIAN,

Sorry for the super late reply, but school has cuaght up to me. Anyways, I brought the car to a mechanic and I'm just about to pick it up, I'll let you know what happens once I get it!
Old 03-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So apparently there is nothing wrong with my suspension at all. The problem lies somewhere else, to which I have no idea where or what it is at all. I'm going to figure out what the problem is before going any further haha thanks for the help
Old 04-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If still having problems with the convertible top, first thing I would check is wiring harness in trunk lid. Had problems with mine, did a lot of testing and found that the wires that go to the trunk lid lock were shorting each other out. The wires exit the trunk lid near the right hinge, then run through a conduit and go through the lid channel and down toward the hydraulic pump. Opening and closing the trunk over the years must cause the insulation to crack and fall off exposing the wires to cross and short out.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your answer kenurb, I'll be sure to keep this in mind if I ever try to repair the convertible!