1994 audi cabriolet convertible (top won't let down)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Top up the fluid in the trunk (boot). Use the same super expensive green pentosin that is specified for the power steering fluid
Old 09-10-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got the top to work after reaching out and unlocking the doors with the engine running. The trunk was however not locked! The top worked fine for almost a year, but last night I locked the trunk and the top now wont go closed. I've tried several combinations of locking, unlocking the doors, the trunk. Seems nothing works. Any ideas? Maybe if I could disable the security system? It seems to me that is the problem with the security system. Help.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by banjoman
I finally got the top to work after reaching out and unlocking the doors with the engine running. The trunk was however not locked! The top worked fine for almost a year, but last night I locked the trunk and the top now wont go closed. I've tried several combinations of locking, unlocking the doors, the trunk. Seems nothing works. Any ideas? Maybe if I could disable the security system? It seems to me that is the problem with the security system. Help.
Could be several things..The German Audi Cabriolet crowd have some FAQs for top problems. One thing they talk about is the wiring on the rear trunk causing problems. Audicabrio.info - Kabelbaum Heckdeckel - Reparaturtipps

Use Google translate to get the english if you don't read German.

Audicabrio.info - Probleme mit ZV / E-Verdeck

The rear trunk lock actuator may be your problem too..see the link with Google translate:

Audicabrio.info - Stellmotor Heckklappenschloss - Verdeckdeckel geht nicht auf

I'm pretty sure those rear trunk lock actuators were used on several VAG cars..I would look in a bone yard for a spare prior to trying to repair your old actuator, if it is defective.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi guys!

This is my first post here, so forgive me if I ask stupid questions! Hahaha

Anyways, I have a problem with my convertible top as well. The top on my 1994 Cabriolet doesn't seem to be working. I want to be able to open it manually, however, it's gotten to the point where I can't even unlock the "T-latch" on the inside to pop the top up.

The previous owner has tried fixing the top, but didn't finish up, so I think he might have completely unplugged it or something, because when I press the button to put the top up, I don't hear anything at all.

Btw, I did all the procedures before trying to pull out the "T-latch" (Windows down, E-brake up). I've attached a picture of the "T-latch", that's as far as it turns.

(Some background on the car: I've had this car for a while and the top did work perfectly for a good bit.)

Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The access to the locking release mechanism is located behind the left sun visor in the lining of the windshield frame, it is a narrow opening. To release the T handle put the ignition key all the way into the hole in the windshield frame hole/slot. and hold. The hood release T handle is turned simultaneously with your free hand.

Chances are your truck lock servo motor may not be working or the top wiring at the hinges are broken. The system can be checked with anyone with a Vag-Com v3.11 and the right interface cables for your year model.

Once you have the top up enough..look at the wiring and look for broken wires.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It went up half way!

Thanks for the help! I got the front half to go up thanks to you. I heard that once the front half pops up, the back half pops up as well, but mine hasn't. Do you guys have any ideas on how to open the back half?

Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2015, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is the copy from Audicabio.info, translated the English..a little rough. I think the brass levers are under the flaps Right and left. lift the flaps and move the brass levers forward to release the top at the back.

Preconditions

• Switch on the ignition.

• Apply the handbrake firmly.

• Luggage compartment flap on the right shutter check. The lock must be engaged.

• In order to rule out an error in the positioning motor, possibly also by hand Shut the trunk.

If all the above done the steps correctly, and does not open still the top compartment, is likely a fault in the Hood electronics (safety lock in the lock of the top lock) before.
Thus, the top can be unlocked and opened in such a case, it is possible that to bypass security lock for each unlocking. In Hiding From year 94, a magnetic locking device for rotary handle exists.

The access to the locking mechanism is located behind the left sun visor in the lining of the windshield frame a narrow opening. hood release • Sun visor to the side pan • ignition key all the way into the hole in the windshield frame stuck. • Ignition key on the stop and hold. The hood release simultaneously with his free hand. Emergency release of the top storage • Kläppchen in the top compartment open • Lift the rear of the brass-colored release lever and swing in the direction of the vehicle front. This operation must be carried out right and left. • Open the compartment lid and push the roof by hand. Help power hood of ignition. • When power hood again close the button for deck so operate the locks to go.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default How to remove motor

I have a 94 cab and are having problems with the removal from the trunk the motor for the hydraulic pump that drives the top going up and down.

I have disconnected the wiring to the hydraulic motor and relay and are presently operating the top manually. Which I can do in a minute or two by myself now.

When it was connected the switch to operate the roof would try to work, meaning the windows would come down, and the roof started to lift. Then stopped 1/4 the way through working, helping manually the motion of the roof helped a bit but it never did it completely by itself.
After trying this process for a while I looked for a wiring problem but could not find any damaged wires any where.
Looking at the hydraulic fluid levels seemed good if not a bit over full.

Although , after attempted operation, the eight 'valves'? on top of the motor assembly were extremely hot. So I endeavoured to remove this assembly to inspect a failure of electric motor cause.

Well this is where I am now stuck trying to remove this motor, I got out the end bolt towards the bumper, easy, but the three or four bolts holding the assembly to the chassis are impossible to get a turning tool to.
I also removed the rh rear wheel to see if the nuts of these bolts holding the hydraulic motor to the chassis went through the chassis to some nuts, but as in the pictures NO.

In the other pictures of the culprit motor I highlighted the bolt that you can see I have removed but there are at least one more at the back of the motor, close to the rh rear inner panel that is impossible to get at.

I do not want to have to loosen the fuel tank to gain access.
I could do damage.

My request for advice is how the hell are you meant to get this thing out to look at 1. the electric motor 2. service the bushes of such a motor .
Attached Images     
Old 02-20-2015, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Bentley talks about two bolts/nuts holding the pump assembly..one at the front and the other at the back (you may have to remove the rear bumper to get through an access hole for the rear bolt).

The rest of all those bolts is a "crash guard" around the pump. You don't need to mess with those till the pump is out of the car.

Here is a picture of the pump as it looks out of the car.

And if you can do Google translate here is an Audi self study guide for the convertible top.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_156.PDF

The word is the electric motor is proprietary made for Audi and the service parts are NA. Don't know if that is true or not. The plastic fill bottle and "O" ring should be replaced if your taking the pump out. Part number 8G0898101 The plastic bottle can crack with age.

The top system can be checked for faults with a VagCom ..frrom the German site Audicabrio.info:

I reinforced with the problem of untraceable errors in electrical roof on the Audi Cabriolet Forum
come in contact, I've tried the sometimes very scattered and cryptic information
prepare something.
As a basis, I'll take the freely available VAG-COM in version 3.11. This is for the old Audi Cabrio
perfectly adequate. Furthermore, a mechanism diagnostic cable is available, which is for about 20 on ebay - €
gets. I use an interface called OBD2 KKL. It is important to ensure that the Y or 2x2 adapter for
older vehicles is.

I hope the following pages is a help you to find the error. Feel free to me the
return filled with your values ​​Sheet. For this purpose, the line is released under my readings.
All you had plenty happening on your car of course at your own risk and I can cover any damages
recognize any liability.

Good luck
Mech ©

Audicabrio.info - Elektrisches Verdeck Prüfschritte + Messwertblöcke

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 02-20-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I tried looking in my car for the brass-coloured levers, but I couldn't find it at all. There was only one thing that was had a brass colour and it was the "Spannbügelzylinderrechts" (according to your attached pdf). I tried pulling it (didn't seem like too good of an idea since I wasn't sure if it was it), I didn't pull it too hard though, and nothing happened. I looked through the pdf you attached and read pages 10 and 11 and even translated it, but still couldn't find out which lever you're talking about. Any ideas guys?

Thanks btw!

Quick Reply: 1994 audi cabriolet convertible (top won't let down)