1996 Cabriolet help

Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Cabriolet help

I have a 96 Cabriolet that is leaking hydro fluid from the convertible top motor into my trunk. Every time I get it filled, I get three cycles with the top and it is then empty. I have read you can part out the motor and fix the problem, but haven't found out where to gain the parts. Dealer wants 1K to fix or 3k to replace. Any suggestions would be great!

I have also been told by the dealer that I need a new "command and Control" module, but this is only available from Germany! Another 3k! Has anyone had to replace this?

This car was handed to me when my father past, only 28k original miles, and has been garage kept all its life! Awesome shape, except for a door ding or two. I was hoping to keep it going and hand it down to my son when he comes of age. Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2015, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

The pumps usually are fine..it is most likely a hose, "O" ring or reservoir problem. Your pump..if it is in fact bad is an old style 8 valve pump..Audi only sells the later 6 valve pump and it needs the matching control unit..big bucks.

Can you post a picture of where the pump is leaking, if possible?

Where are you in NC?
Old 07-30-2015, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
The pumps usually are fine..it is most likely a hose, "O" ring or reservoir problem. Your pump..if it is in fact bad is an old style 8 valve pump..Audi only sells the later 6 valve pump and it needs the matching control unit..big bucks.

Can you post a picture of where the pump is leaking, if possible?

Where are you in NC?
Right outside of Raleigh in a small town called Fuquay. Not sure where it is leaking, tech said lines were fine and didn't notice any fluid spray, so it must be dripping near the pump. He laid some special cloths down to try and isolate it, but the whole thing was soaked. Thinking it is the reservoir, but haven't been able to access the pump very easily to find out. Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2015, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 96 NC Cab
Right outside of Raleigh in a small town called Fuquay. Not sure where it is leaking, tech said lines were fine and didn't notice any fluid spray, so it must be dripping near the pump. He laid some special cloths down to try and isolate it, but the whole thing was soaked. Thinking it is the reservoir, but haven't been able to access the pump very easily to find out. Any suggestions?
*** Update: the module is not Command and Control, it is a Comfort Control module that Audi is saying it has to come direct from Germany.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

The plastic tank-"O" ring is probably leaking. The tank will crack due to age. Audi has a repair kit which is surprisingly inexpensive.

Part number 8G0 898 101

About $70

The pump is fiddly to remove but the repair is straight forward. Use the correct Pentosin CHF-11F fluid in the pump.

The controller has a lot of different names. It lives behind the center of the back of the rear seat. One 8 valve controller or 8 valve pump is NLA..the controller for the 6 valve pump now. Only the 6 valve pump is available. The good news is you most likely don't need a new pump.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a similar leak on my '94, along with broken wires at the trunk hinge. I used the kit above and that solved my leaky pump issue. My pump reservoir wasn't cracked, so it was likely the o-ring that gave way. Be extra careful re-seating the new tank around that o-ring, even lubed up it didn't seat correctly on my first try.
Since fixing it, now I've got a slight leak from the struts on both sides onto the storage compartment cover. I'm not sure what to do about that yet...it looks like its just at the hose connection. Is there an o-ring in there or would teflon tape be a solution?

-Erick
Old 12-09-2015, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If you need complete pump and valve assembly(6 valves), I have one