Someone please sell me on the prospect of owning an Audi 80 Cabrio

Old 07-28-2014, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone please sell me on the prospect of owning an Audi 80 Cabrio

Hello everybody, I'm a regular guy from N.Y.

I recently got into an accident with my Mitsu Eclipse, and I figured now would be a good time to finally switch from JDM into EDM. I've been looking at E30 convertible's (almost bought one), Saab's, & now the Audi 80 came into play.

I never knew a lot about Audi's aside from the fact they're Volkswagen engineered & they make nice looking cars. But everything I heard about them wasn't great, which kind of turned me off. (Same about Saab, but not enough people know about Saab to make assumptions so I brushed that off)

I like the Audi 80 in the sense that it's not a common car, plus it aged better than the E36 vert & in my mind looks as good as the Mercedes R129 SL. I'm looking for a D.D. that'll get looks & be practical. Sort of the reason why I was hesitant on getting a Bimmer (RWD in New York winters is not practical at all). So I'm not really looking for a "drivers car" but more so a practical nice looking daily.

I'm my own mechanic for most jobs so I have no problem fixing anything that needs to be fixed, doesn't mean I want a problematic nice looking car. So please guys help me. Right now the Saab is the front runner as far as my next car, but the Audi is on the back of my mind.

Sorry for all the reading. thanks in advance guys.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the Audi 80 Cabriolet is the Euro description of the car. Here in the USA they were called the Audi Cabriolet.

If it is an "80" it may be an EURO import..just check the title.

They are a solid car..parts are available and the only weak points are the Automatic Transmission and HVAC.

Depending on the year of the car..it should have a 2.8 SOHC V6 engine..which is a good powerplant.

Some details as to the year and mileage?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Audi Cabriolets are good cars. Reliable convertible tops. Outstanding 2.8 engine. Not a hideous cheap fall apart Saab, nice solid Audi interior. I think the Audi Cabriolets look amazing, and later models have really sporty seats and the S4 steering wheel.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They're all 12v V6's. Rusts right about the transmissions. The biggest problem is the auto trans. The early ones ('94s specifically) had a particularly crappy version of the 4 speed auto, later weren't as bad.

I love my cabriolet but wouldn't drive it as a dd in the winter. Days like today I absolutely love it.

The engine is pretty simple to work on and very reliable.

Make sure the back window is clear too or you'll never want to drive it with the top up