'90 90 quattro stalling/low power

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '90 90 quattro stalling/low power

okay, i just replaced the head gasket, water pump, idler, timing belt, oil pump gasket/front crank seal, and distributor not that long ago got it up and running had a million and one exhaust leaks(over exaggeration of course) and gotten the worst of them taken care of....
i can be driving, or just rev the engine, and once i let go of the gas to let it drop itself back down to idle it will either stall out or get really close to stalling out. i have a very minor exhaust leak which ive been trying to figure out how to take care of at my cat... it worked fine after i fixed the main exhaust leak yesterday afternoon, just kind of dropped down to ~200-250RPM for a second and picked back up to ~800 which isnt the best, but it would suffice until i could get it to work properly... went to go to school this morning and stopped at sign and pushed in the clutch and it just stalled. so now im back to getting into third and keeping it in gear until its at about 400 RPM so it doesnt drop too quickly and press in the clutch and the RPM goes right back to where it should be.
Car idles like it has a misfire and im not sure why/where it would be coming from since all cylinders have good compression, new distributor and plugs(didnt have the money for wires) and theres fuel going into the cylinder.

Power Loss:
it just lags... sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt, getting onto the freeway sometimes she will be that peppy little i5 that i fell in love with, soemtimes its just as fast as a slow honda....

any help would be appreciated and looked at/tired. thanks in advance

also, my MPG has just gone to trash averaging 15-17 at 80 in 5th gear when before i got 25-29
Old 03-30-2015, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lsdisk0
okay, i just replaced the head gasket, water pump, idler, timing belt, oil pump gasket/front crank seal, and distributor not that long ago got it up and running had a million and one exhaust leaks(over exaggeration of course) and gotten the worst of them taken care of....
i can be driving, or just rev the engine, and once i let go of the gas to let it drop itself back down to idle it will either stall out or get really close to stalling out. i have a very minor exhaust leak which ive been trying to figure out how to take care of at my cat... it worked fine after i fixed the main exhaust leak yesterday afternoon, just kind of dropped down to ~200-250RPM for a second and picked back up to ~800 which isnt the best, but it would suffice until i could get it to work properly... went to go to school this morning and stopped at sign and pushed in the clutch and it just stalled. so now im back to getting into third and keeping it in gear until its at about 400 RPM so it doesnt drop too quickly and press in the clutch and the RPM goes right back to where it should be.
Car idles like it has a misfire and im not sure why/where it would be coming from since all cylinders have good compression, new distributor and plugs(didnt have the money for wires) and theres fuel going into the cylinder.

Power Loss:
it just lags... sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt, getting onto the freeway sometimes she will be that peppy little i5 that i fell in love with, soemtimes its just as fast as a slow honda....

any help would be appreciated and looked at/tired. thanks in advance

also, my MPG has just gone to trash averaging 15-17 at 80 in 5th gear when before i got 25-29
10v or 20v ?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

20v quattro. i forgot they made some 10v and fwd lol
Old 03-31-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would start to check the timing. it fairly easy on that car any eliminates many problems.
then, icv. since its a 1990, its the hitachi **** that always go bad.
then i would check the MAF and knock sensors

i have an used but good cat, and full exhaust in w. covina
Old 03-31-2015, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

varia could you dm me your number so I could get quicker replies, or we could meet up later today so you could look at it?
ignition timing is fine, as the car starts, and engine timing is also dead on or should be. I made sure on all data, when I checked at school, how to get everything to tdc and know when the heads off.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

and I'm pretty sure my iacv is Bosch. I have a later 90 with the cast manifold and all that. I could be wrong, but in pretty sure its a Bosch one. and it was perfectly fine before I did the head gasket
Old 04-02-2015, 06:42 AM
x19
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lsdisk0
varia could you dm me your number so I could get quicker replies, or we could meet up later today so you could look at it?
ignition timing is fine, as the car starts, and engine timing is also dead on or should be. I made sure on all data, when I checked at school, how to get everything to tdc and know when the heads off.
To check the timing(actuary) remove the #1 spark plug and insert long screw driver with TDC and look in to mark on cam gear or cam robe. It is so easy I think.

Did you monitor 02 sensor and you will find with this way for vacuum leak or rich condition etc.

Good luck and I'm in WLA. x19
Old 04-04-2015, 11:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

x19, im not getting any backfire thats out of the ordinary for my car(upon trans braking on a fresh cold start in the morning). and I did that when i set the ignition timing when i replaced the distributor. I just checked the codes a few hours ago and I had a lotttt.. if you go look at my code post, perhaps you could shine some light on how to fix them?