95' 2.8 awd 90 150k smoking out of oil fill cap

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95' 2.8 awd 90 150k smoking out of oil fill cap

It's the new guy again. Only had her 3 days and want to get smog test but noticed a large amount of smoke coming out of the oil cap when I remove it when she is warm on the v6.

Also noticed what could be steam or smoke out of exhaust. Not too bad and not too good either. She didn't do it when I test drove her. But here in Cali I don't want to chance wasting money and time on an emissions test that may not pass.. Trying to do the girl right as well, she needs some TLC.

Not sure if those clogged crankcase tubes would cause blow by out of exhaust or not, maybe right? The ones on there now remind me of that plastic tubing that some stereo shops use to put around speaker wires. You know black plastic with ridges. Looks pretty fragile as if I touch or clean them they won't go back the way they were. Not sure it these are original or not.. I'll take a picture and post tomorrow in day light. Did see some tape wrapped around the one on the passengers side of the back of the valve cover. I can also hear a slight hiss sound on that side but really faint while running.

Also looks like some one left one of the bolts off the intake on the front pass corner and i see what look like a slight oil seep coming out. Thinking the intake shouldn't have oil up that high but I'm clueless.

Oil is black and a tad over filled above the max line. Thinking about running some Gunk High Mileage Engine flush in her for 5 min before I change the oil.. Is that bad for these 12v motors that seemed to be a bit neglected or is it OK? Not sure if that will help at all with my smoky issue.

Just for clarification I only see smoke out of the cap when I take it off not while on so the seal is alright. Did I read in the forum we need to replace it with one that has a vent? How would I know if the current one already has that? With that I also need to replace the valve cover gaskets they are starting to leak onto the exhaust mani's. Just trying to take things one step at a time.

I'll wait for you guys to reply before I proceed.

Thanks in advance. Again! Sorry for all the questions but I do know a bit about cars and don't mind getting dirty, just never owned an Audi.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh and she seems to run just fine now no hesitation.. First day I got her I took out some worn Autolite plats (all looked fine and the same normal wear and tear) and slapped in some Bosch supers copper 7402's aka Fr7ldc+ .

Oh and when she arrived the previous owner had a 3rd cat in place that was broken internally and caused the exhaust to choke and stumble like she had a sever misfire or something but only when the brick moved out of place. I already knew one of the cats were shot by listening to it. Took that off today she still has 2 cats and seems good to go on exhaust side. Not so sure what that could have done to the motor in the past.

I'm changing oil tomorrow just worried about using gunk b4 I do. There is some nasty build up in that valve cover.

i apologize for being so wordy but just want you to have as much info as possible.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

MAF is brand new. Going to put some Gumout Regane in the tank tomorrow as well and run it double strength to help clean up injectors.

Let me know if you guys have better suggestions or I'm off base.. I'd really appreciate the help.

Wes
Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Almost 80 views and no comments guess I'm doing her right.. But now I can't get the damn hood open... Crap...
Old 08-22-2014, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Some "smoke" when removing the oil cap when warm is very normal with the V6 engine..don't worries about that.

The vented oil cap has an orange colored oil can profile on the top. The non-vented cap oil can profile is unpainted and the same color as the oil cap.

I would not use an "oil flush". If you want to clean up the engine..use a HDEO like Rotella or Delo 15w40 and do some 2000 mile oil changes.

Those breather hoses are fragile..if the hose breaks repair the breathers with some automotive heater hose and tie wraps secured on the end parts that clip on the valve cover and breather box.

The breather hoses and valve covers do get gunked up..plan on removing them and cleaning the covers, breather hoses and screens...the screens are a chore but need to be washed out in a parts washer or improvised method at home. If your valve covers are plastic then be gentle as to not crack them or melt the plastic with solvents when cleaning. Soap and water works with some carb cleaner soaking the breather screens, when washed out with water and some air.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The breathers are fragile, I replaced both with new. They tend to last 10+years.

Engine cleaning, the old standby ATF can accelerate cleaning and seafoam works wonders too.
I fixed a sticking lifter with that route, follow up with a quality oil like M1 or the like.

I've cleaned both metal and plastic valve covers, they do get pretty gunked after time.
Foaming engine cleaner works and some have noted easy-off stove cleaner is good but probably more for the aluminum covers.

You can't go wrong with a orange citric based cleaner or simple green which are mild.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:18 AM
x19
AudiWorld Member

Seems to me you are talking or mentioning of Blow-by Gas that combustion gas escape from between the piston ring and cylinder wall. General speaking, engine is tire and rebuild may need. Do your engine is eating oil 1qts / miles ? that I'm curious about.

I guess, it's time to take the cylinder leakage test with compression. x19