Audi 90 - No start troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 90 - No start troubleshooting

Recently my 1995 Audi 90 Quattro 5 speed has stopped operating. The vehicle does not crank, I hear a faint buzzing sound from my starter(when outside of the vehicle). Before the car usually fired up instantly and then i noticed on occasion it wouldn't crank first try i would switch it to the engaging position and upon returning to the ON position i would have to try again. It started as a rare thing and then it became a real problem, i thought at first it was a dying battery.

Problems addressed thus far.
Ignition switch replaced
battery tested
connectors sanded
found ground wire for engine (near battery) was broken off.
hit starter (didnt work)

Here is also a video of the check engine light if that helps, i am unable to read it due to this is my first ODB1 but i believe it is "4444"? correct? starts blinking at 27 seconds into video.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back to the start(er)

Hardi,

Like sensors, stored fault codes or even a lit CEL will not impede or prevent engine cranking via the starter motor. For our purposes here, go to 20v.org (a similar enough car) find engine problems...; diagnostic fault codes; and find 4444. Also have a look at some of the other fault consequences for possible future use.

You where able to repair the broken engine ground, correct? Please identify from where to where this wire connects and tell me.

You are likely having to recharge and monitor your battery voltage. When battery has been charged for a sufficient time, the charger disconnected and the battery -not- connected to the car, what is the battery voltage?

The next thing I'm likely going to. Ask about is. the available voltage. At the starter. Solenoid. Are. You. Able. To access the. Solenoid safely. ?

Once again This site -alone -does not function.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Confirm timing belt intact

Hardi,

Just in case, it is perhaps unlikely, but as a precaution, due to your description of:

a.) How the engine stopped while cranking the last time it cranked; and
b.) The starter noise you describe after the above.

A broken belt would result in valve to piston interference that might stop a less than fully charged battery and a "weak" starter motor that has a ground disconnected; from cranking the engine over.

Please pull off the plastic. Toothed . Timing
Belt covers and confirm the belt is taught between the pulleys and has not broken or lost tension due to a failed tensioner. I would want to check under the 2 uppermost covers for each bank where the belt is well clear of the cam pulleys and the next idler, water pump or tensioner.

Again see 12v.org timing belt procedureand drawings to s find locations and how tight the belt should be. Hopefully all will be fine and you can go back to next ensuring the starter motor and solenoid are sufficiently supplied with power and grounding before looking at the starter motor and solenoid themselves.

This site alone still not fully operable for me, very odd.

Last edited by Lago Blue; 07-31-2015 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-31-2015, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

i will check the timing, i hope nothing has caused it to jump time or skip a tooth... thats why i had to get rid of my old car for this one. I'll check it as a precaution measure.

On my mobil the website has some difficulties relaying to threads, on my computer the site seems to work perfect. it is unusual maybe bad coding in the mobil version?
Old 08-17-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Finally solved!

The security system was preventing the starter from getting power, the trunk sensor failed. after witch it would crank, replaced/moved around the 3 front fuses in the fuse box (one for engine, breaks etc) and it started up, may be looking at replacing my fuse box. Anyone have one? lol
Old 08-18-2015, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad to hear it. Is it an aftermarket or OEM "security system"? What finally broke the case for you to look at the trunk sensor?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

As far as i know it was oem, i just purchased this car not too long ago so theres plenty of things i've learned about this car since my purchase. Really, more than i'd like to know in the short time i've owned it. haha. I'm starting to really think the one i purchased has electrical demons.

I was close to giving up but i remembered the car has a security system, was looking for an immobiliser.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Dang, I was reading your previous thread. I had the same problem. Car would "pretend" that the clutch pedal wasn't pressed in or something when I was trying to crank it.

I took the car to my RX7 mechanic who I know wont just screw me over by making me buy parts I don't need.

He ran every diagnostic he could think of first. Eventually, he came to a point where he was just plain frustrated and pushed the FOB button when the key was in the Accessory position and the car honked and then started.

I had forgotten I had locked the trunk a while back. Annanina's trunk is strange. I think the button is broken. When "Unlocked" it doesn't open when the button is pressed. It must have a key in it and be turned to unlock and open. Also there is another position that the key can seem to "Lock" the trunk.

My car is honking and locking the doors when I open and close the trunk so I may look into your problem soon. I am glad you found your problem. Congratulations!

My advice is find a trustworthy mechanic or shop. I do like to DIY but mechanics are better for troubleshooting. I only paid $60 for my mechanic to tell me there isn't anything wrong and fix the problem but, I could have paid more just to find out I had replaced functioning parts.