Audi80 engine sound/tappet noise--> need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 03:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ThanX! I always work around it and I like to keep it clean.

That plastic piece is exactly what I need!
I've been looking on ebay for some pressure gauges and lambda (fuel-air ratio) gauges. But I've no idea where to put them :P
I wish the one on the link was on sale cuz it's cheap!

What do you think of these:
lambda: New Black 2 1 16 inch 52mm Car Motor Digital 20 LED Air Fuel Ratio Gauge | eBay
oil pressure: Black 2" 52mm Warning Lights LED Car Digital Oil Pressure Press Gauge Meter | eBay

Why do you think the clutch would influence the power steering pump?

Maybe just remove the servo belt, fire up and see if it still makes that sound

I got an interesting story with the clutch!
It's about a year old. Lowered the car after being on jack stands and the clutch wouldn't release anymore. Couldn't get into gears when running.
I thought the clutch was saying goodbye LoL!
Jacked it up again and tried rotating the wheels while in gear, and surprise it rotated. I don't really get it.
I pressed in the clutch a few times while being up and then it worked.
Seems like it's bending but it shouldn't. I mean the tranny and engine lift together with the body......
Just thought I'd share, it's ok for now haha
Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the clutch has nothing to do with the steering pump, but if your throw out bearing could be making that noise. taking a belt of would be a good way to diagnose
on the A/F gauge, you will need a wide-band gauge, the narrow band gauge is useless with these O2 sensors.
lol, really could not even guess what would cause that ive head a similar experience with the brakes on my, just did new front wheel bearings, front pads and rotors, shocks, and lowering springs, and my brakes would engage every other time, i could press on the pedal as hard as i want, nothing, pedal would not go down, then press again,pedal goes down and brakes engage. took me about 4 hours to figure out that my wheel speed sensors were not pushed down far enough, so my abs was thinking that the wheels were not spinning and would prevent the pedal from engaging.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My lambda is basic, it's got one wire only. You think this gauge wouldn't work with it?
I noticed it has three wires, I figured one is ground other two are signal depending on how many wires the lambda has.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

maybe someone can pitch in here as i dont know your engine. but to my knowledge and out of my experience, we need a wide band gauge for these sensors, otherwise it bounces all over the place and you cant get a reading
and yes, usually on those gauges, 1 is to sensor, 1 + or - (cant remember anymore) and one is light