Bleeder Screw On Heater Core Inlet Hose

Old 08-09-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeder Screw On Heater Core Inlet Hose

I was driving on the freeway yesterday evening when I noticed that my coolant light was flashing. I could smell that sweet maple syrup everytime i pulled up to a red light and saw steam coming out from under the hood. I topped the coolant off when I got home, but didnt have time to look at it. I let it cool down and dropped my friend off at her place. Almost immediately after getting back on the freeway the light started blinking again and the smell returned. I limped it home and did as thorough a check as I could at 2am. I noticed the inlet line to the heater core was wet and could hear a small sputter of coolant coming out the top. I was happy it wasnt a more serious issue with the engine itself,until I got an estimate from the Audi dealer. $130 for the hose/screw combo.

I went to my local hardware store,which I also happen to work at, and grabbed a couple 1/4-20 nylon screws. I cut a slot in the old broken off screw and unscrewed it very carefully. I was surprised that it came out as easy as it did.

I was even more surprised when the nylon screw I bought fit. The threads were a very tight fit,but it didn't feel like I was cross threading it. I didnt put any sealant on the screw and so far its holding coolant just fine.

I searched and found a few posts on here, but nothing that really gave me a solution other than replace the line. Hopefully others can find this as another solution. I don't know how permanent of a fix this is, but its held up fine so far and I've done quite a bit of driving on it.

If anyone has any comments on this or concerns please post them. I don't know If the nylon will hold up to the heat, but I also didnt want to put a metal screw in its place as I'm not sure what might happen to it when it comes in contact with coolant. I may look for an aluminum or titanium screw with a rubber washer if this doesn't work out.

Finally, I didnt see anything come up in a search,so if this has been covered before my apologies. I haven't been to this forum in ages.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my suggestion

R&amp;R both hoses. Buy the hoses new from an online source like AutohausAZ.com Drain the coolant. Replace hoses and be done with it. Only way to ensure a good job. I would also suggest now being the time to replace your expansion tank if that hasn't ever been done before. Flush out the system and fill. See how she reacts then.<ul><li><a href="http://autohausaz.com/search/productx.aspx?sid=iqmewzjfeii5ms55elxa2e45&amp;mak eid=800002@Audi&amp;modelid=1008414@90%20CS&amp;ye ar=1993&amp;cid=24@AC%20%26%20Heat%20-%20Climate%20Control&amp;gid=6892@Heater%20Hose">A utohausaz.com</a
Old 08-09-2006, 02:43 PM

Default I didn't know they were that cheap online.

After hearing the price from the dealership,I thought it'd be close to the same price online.

I looked at a few but the hoses didn't look the same. Doesn't have the bleeder port on it, but would they be interchangable?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Anyone ever tried to see if

one of the V6 heater hoses (with the bleeder screw) fits very well on an I5? Sure would save lots of money, even if it were close. Sure, the bends are not <i>exactly</i> right, but..... ? ? ? ;-)
Old 08-09-2006, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well there are two hoses, in and out from heater core

I would replace both while you're there. The out has the bleeder on it. The in hose is cheaper and does not have the bleeder. Like I said, since you're there, its a good idea to change it as its rubber and eventually will fail. Get the two hoses I posted to you. Those are what you need. Also, get an expansion tank if your budget allows. Your sensor could also be failing in your tank, cheap $35 replacement and requires a coolant drain to do it. Since you would have to drain coolant to do those heater hoses, its a good idea to do this small thing as well. Those three items with some $11 coolant from the Auto parts store and about 2 hours of your time, this problem may be solved for under $100. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Thanks! Sounds like a great fall tuneup project.

I was pondering whether or not to flush the coolant earlier in the year and this seems like a perfect hint to get it done by winter. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah no joke. would be a good test for someone to do
Old 08-21-2014, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm going to try this as a quick fix. Wonder if it will work for a 1995 90.. If it does I'll update
Old 08-23-2014, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also look at 034 motorsport for their silicon hoses, after 2 of my hoses let go I replaced the whole lot. A lot easier to do all at once. Most replacement hoses won't have the bleeder screw, so you just have to back fill the heater matrix first, then fit the hose. There are also hoses that might have a hole in them towards the end which you use to bleed air then slip on further to seal.