Looking to buy a 90 with Quattro

Old 05-04-2013, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 90 with Quattro

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a budget car with decent AWD for some local rallycross. The Quattro system with locking rear diff looks fantastic. Unfortunately most cars on Craigslist are well maintained with 150k to 200k miles and people are asking mid 3's for them. What I would really like is to spend money on a solid engine while I could care less what the exterior looks like. Any suggestions for how to find such a car. I'm also curious what you think a decent sale price would be for is for one of these tired but well-maintained 90's.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm by no means an expert, but what you seek would be an elusive car. A car where the owner has taken care of the engine and drive train very well, but let the body and interior deteriorate and would therefore sell it cheap. Unfortunately, it seems most owners of cars in the sub $2000 range tend to be the type with the opposite owner expenditure plan. The engines are smoking and clanking, but they have a $1500 stereo thumping away while riding down the road on $4000 worth of wheels and tires.

The Quattro system is stout and worthy, but you're looking for a small percentage owner these days willing to put money into the drivetrain rather than the all important cosmetics.

DougM
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks IdahoDoug, that more or less confirms my suspicions. So basically I'll have to find one that's reasonably maintained all the way around (nothing wrong with that). So my next question is what is a decent price for a 1995 200k mike car that appears to have had all the important servicing done regularly?
Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would say mid to high 2k is a fair price. If you have a know how you can convert the fwd cars to quattro, but it is a LOT of work.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, clthornton90. I guess the Edmunds' appraisal calculator is NOT an accurate estimate for these cars.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

When did the manual driver operated rear locker stop being available in the US?

DougM
Old 05-06-2013, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It looks like it's a bit complicated, but my summary (derived almost entirely from wikipedia) is that it went away with the change from the Quattro II in the B4 (80/90) to the Quattro IV in the B5 (S4). It says the Quattro IV has "electronic differential lock" which is nothing more than automatic braking of the slipping wheel (hardly a diff lock). This site basically has the same info as Wikipedia.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoDoug
When did the manual driver operated rear locker stop being available in the US?

DougM
http://www.awdwiki.com/en/Torsen/

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/audi/
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What you're looking for sounds exactly like where I've gotten my 80q too. The outside and interior are subpar to say the least, but every gasket, vacuum line, and o-ring on it has been replaced along with all the running gear underneath. I've owned the car for over a year and have yet to even wash the thing haha. That being said though even after all that it still needs more work.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Could be your perfect rally car

I'm thinking about selling mine. 1989 90 quattro. Runs great. Needs some minor repairs that I'm debating spending the money to do myself.

My dad bought the car new and I've had it for quite awhile. Most of the repair work has been done either by him or myself. 292k miles and still fires right up. My sister did manage to rear end someone with it and slightly bent the front horn. I straightened it to the best of my ability with a frame puller, but I'm not a professional body/frame guy.

Repairs needed:

1. Driver window regulator/motor mounts failed. Hard to find without buying the whole unit.
2. Headliner. It started sagging and I took the whole thing out with intentions of re-upholstering...a project I've not had time to complete.
3. Air conditioning.
4. Coolant sensor. It comes on as if the coolant is low, but it is not.
5. A couple of dash lights and the LCD clock needs replacing.

I kinda hate to get rid of it, but haven't been driving it much lately and I'm not as interested as working on it as I used to be.

Feel free to shoot me an email: abrincko@gmail.com

Aaron

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 90 with Quattro