Just picked up a '94 Cabriolet with 73k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice..and you used the French company? I think they had a green or smoke rear window too...might help keep the top of the rear seat from coming apart due to the sun. The clear looks great though..

Super work.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Rusty!

My rear window install went passably well. The window from Cristal Cabriolet arrived promptly(ordered on a Sunday, arrived in California on a Thursday) and is of excellent quality. It is marked to line up correctly and it zipped in fairly easily.

My install did not go as well as I would have liked for 3 reasons:

1. Original top from 1994 has failing thread all around the window. I re-stitched some of it with black heavy-duty polyester thread, an upholstery needle, and a thimble, but I didn't re-stitch the entire window.

2. The bottom canvas of the original window had curled up towards the rear of the car over the years, and I had a difficult time getting it to straighten out. This caused difficulty in getting the window weather seam(inside the zipper line) to adhere.

3. Adhesive: The Cristal-Cabriolet window has a line of 3M VHB pressure activated sealant tape around it. This should work well in most conditions. I think I have a good seal on the sides and top of the window, but the bottom failed after a few hours. With the condition of my top, I definitely needed a version of the factory 'press' clamp to seal the bottom.

I'm going to live with it as it is now, in the future I may order the tinted version from Cristal-cabriolet and try again. If I don't take it to a pro, I'll likely try at least 2 things:
1. Use a steamer to add some pliability to the canvas and attempt to re-gain the original shape.
2. Use some bar stock and wide-grip clamps to shape the canvas, then use again to clamp down the window and activate the sealant, either the tape or the heat-activated.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I used the French company. It was $132. The green tint was a bit more, and the smoke tint a bit more than that.

I did consider the eMiata guy and one other supposedly U.S. site, but I think they both use the same supplier, and their zipper has every 5th tooth cut to make it work on the Audi.
Then I remembered that the eMiata guy is the same as the Hans Auto Parts guy(google it), so I just didn't want to take any chances on an inferior part.
I was quite surprised to get the window shipped from France(no extra charge) in less than a week. I'd venture to say I wouldn't have gotten it from South Carolina to California until today or tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Ugh, heater core blew!

I've been enjoying driving the Audi daily this month. It's been nice even with the tranny shifting issues, and I'm slowly picking up the remainder of the parts I need for my TDI/5 speed swap.

One part I haven't ordered yet is a new heater core, and it blew tonight on my commute home, just a few miles from home. So I'm sitting at the side of the road waiting on a tow.

A bit steamy :-(
Old 07-14-2015, 08:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got it towed home and decided I don't need heat for several months, and by then I should be installing a pedal set, new evap core, and re-sealing the HVAC box, along with some wiring runs.
So i picked up a 3/4" heater hose elbow to connect the heater core inlet/outlet hoses, refilled with antifreeze and the Audi is running again.

I've convinced myself that the A/C is running a bit cooler in the car as well.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it should be cooler .. but that means the flaps of the HVAC are gone and you will have to rewrap them in something better than the OE sponge.
I have new, not yet installed OEM BERH heater core. Is that one that blew on your car still the factory unit?
Old 07-18-2015, 10:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm sure the heater core that blew is still the factory original. And that I'll be re-sealing the flaps and maybe replacing the actuator.
I rented a carpet cleaner, after several passes the coolant is out of the carpet, along with some other dirt/stains. What's a good brand of floor mats? I have a tan interior in our '99 Tahoe so that got clean carpets as well.

Follow-up on my convertible top pump re-seal. Now that the pump isn't leaking, the rams on either side have decided to seep a bit. Just enough to have a bit of oil to wipe off each side of the vinyl of the compartment cover.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

this entire thread is great. how much better does your cab drive with the 5 speed
Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default picking up again

Well, my TDI swap project has stalled for too long.

The Cabrio's stock tranny lost reverse and neutral in September of 2015 and was sitting in the garage until a few weeks ago. Current plan is to rebuild or more likely replace the auto trans to have the car on the road for the next year or so until I have the TDI ready to swap in.
I need to freshen up the TDI engine and subframe(new cams/timing belt, all new rubber and cooling bits), figure out the wiring for an updated ECU, bolt up all the clutch/transmission/shifter, etc.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

why not convert to a manual?

Quick Reply: Just picked up a '94 Cabriolet with 73k miles