My trunk is stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My trunk is stuck!

Hello, All!

I own a 1995 Audi 90S, and a couple months ago my vehicle was towed & searched by the police (it was stolen, and the culprit had a gun in the vehicle). It later was impounded for almost a month because I was never notified that they had finished their search. They didn't have a key, so they had to "break into" my trunk. Upon receiving my vehicle (close to $700 later), along with a drained battery, I noticed my trunk wouldn't open. Playing with it for a little while seemed to do the trick.

Now here we are, two months later, and I stuck the key in the trunk (which I never do) to unlock it while the car doors were locked, and it was stuck! Playing with it hasn't worked. Nor has unlocking the doors, or double unlocking the doors. I can't get in through my back seat, and I don't think there is a valet button, I looked. I've checked Google multiple times, to no avail, and I'm dying to resolve this problem (I have things I need stuck in there).

I do not have the original key, whomever had it before me only gave me what looks like the spare or a copy. I can get into my glovebox with no problem, as well. Also, I do not have a skibag, so I have absolutely no access to my trunk. I'm really trying to avoid a trip to the dealer, since multiple repairs on my vehicle have been burning my pockets. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you able actually turn the key in the trunk lock, or is the lock itself frozen?
Old 09-15-2015, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4ringsinutah
Are you able actually turn the key in the trunk lock, or is the lock itself frozen?
I can turn the key. It locks the car when I turn it to the left. And when I unlock it, it doesn't unlock the car or the trunk.

My husband says it's the battery terminal shorting out the anti-theft system. But it was like that before the problem. So I don't know.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

It may be the lock cylinder inside is failing. Usually, at-least in my case the security system in the trunk sensor lead to a no-start no-crank condition because the security sensor system failure(located, in the trunk). That's my experience with that. I own a 1995 Audi 90 Quattro Sport. And excuse me if im wrong, but if you don't have a extension bag or whatever you want to call it(i don't ski obviously) there aren't tabs on the corners of the seats? at-least, mine has those. I also have a 4 door though.

If the system was shorting out the fuse would most likely blow.

Last edited by hardipk5; 10-22-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hardipk5
It may be the lock cylinder inside is failing. Usually, at-least in my case the security system in the trunk sensor lead to a no-start no-crank condition because the security sensor system failure(located, in the trunk). That's my experience with that. I own a 1995 Audi 90 Quattro Sport. And excuse me if im wrong, but if you don't have a extension bag or whatever you want to call it(i don't ski obviously) there aren't tabs on the corners of the seats? at-least, mine has those. I also have a 4 door though.

If the system was shorting out the fuse would most likely blow.
Thanks, I know when I got the car the windows were hit wired to the fuse box and the wire that's connected gets loose causing all of my windows to stop working. We did manage to get the trunk open, and I will never use the key to lock or unlock the trunk again. I don't have a ski bag but I do have the two latches in the backseat but when the trunk gets stuck in the lock position, I can't open it from the inside. My poor baby still needs a lot of work, especially the hot wired cable that connect to the Windows, but I've been spending the last 8 months fixing all of the mechanical issues first. I definitely need some electrical work done, but I guess I'll have to also look into replacing that locking cylinder.

Thanks everybody for your helpful replies!!
Old 10-23-2015, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why can't you get in through the back seats? That is the first big problem. you should be able to from the rear seats. if the seats aren't folding forward or are locked, it means you have a vacuum leak. I was able to get into the trunk of a junkyard car this way, even though the seats were 'locked' i removed the lower bench and found the vacuum line, sucked it for aquick second and the seats were then unlocked and able to fold down.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Hybrid_Hatch
Why can't you get in through the back seats? That is the first big problem. you should be able to from the rear seats. if the seats aren't folding forward or are locked, it means you have a vacuum leak. I was able to get into the trunk of a junkyard car this way, even though the seats were 'locked' i removed the lower bench and found the vacuum line, sucked it for aquick second and the seats were then unlocked and able to fold down.
They lock when the trunk is locked. Since my trunk hasn't been stuck locked for a little while, they're working now.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

That is a possibility all of the locks are locked by vacuums. There should be a compression like sound when you lock the doors
Old 10-27-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hardipk5
That is a possibility all of the locks are locked by vacuums. There should be a compression like sound when you lock the doors
I hear the locking noise, and I can lock the doors from the trunk, but can't unlock them or the trunk. So I just don't use the key on the trunk anymore.