New member, saying hi and asking for help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure when you pull codes it's after you've tried to start the car but the ignition is still on. Then you can get a real idea of what the issue is.

I've had the Crank Position Sensor keep the car from starting based simply on the distance to the crank pin. You might try uninstalling and reinstalling.

To really figure out what's wrong you need to 100% verify that you have or dont have spark and fuel.

For spark, take an injector and set it so that the metal tip is grounded on the intake manifold - then when you turn the car over you should see spark on the plug.

For fuel, you can put a 12v led or something into the 2 prong connector from an injector and see that there is a signal going to it. It should flash occasionally when you turn it over.

Lastly, if you have both of those ok, there is a fuel delivery problem. This can be verified with staring fluid sprayed into the Throttle body. If you have spark, signal to the injectors and it starts with starter fluid you have a bad fuel pump or clogged filter. There's a test in the Bentley for the amount of gas that should come out of the lines with 12v and the pump running.

I went through all of this on a 93 V8 and it ended up being a clogged fuel filter. Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2015, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, but I am sure I have no spark, I have done the lay a spark plug on the intake thing at least 50 times already (after everything I try). I haven't spent to much time checking for fuel 1. cause I can smell it and 2. cause I know I have no spark so I want to focus on one thing at a time.
I am also sure to use the correct procedures for checking the system for any CEL codes. The car is not putting out any codes.
There could be a fuel issue since the car has been sitting for so long but I figure since there is no spark I will work to try to figure out why that is before I start measuring fuel pressure and such.
Any more ideas on what could be causing a no spark issue?
I'm going to try to add a picture of one of the ECM plugs since it looks a little beat up to me and like I said the car acts no differently whether I have this plug connected or disconnected.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I believe you need the audi triggers to all work for spark to happen.

Cam position sensor, Crank Position and Engine Speed.

Did you say you do get a tachometer flutter when you try to start the car? I think that means the Engine speed sensor is working. I'd focus on the Crank Position Sensor.

I'd definitely try a known good ECU though. It's strange that you get zero codes. Try a VAG-COM too.

Have you checked all the fuses?

I wonder if there's an output test for the AFC like there is for the V8's
http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...ufv8.html#out3
Old 04-03-2015, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Check this thread out...

Bentley Publishers - Technical Discussions : 1997 audi a6 no spark ...

It brings up another possibility that I hadn't thought of - is your timing belt in one piece? It's possible that the timing being off would cause this.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have replaced the crank sensor but I can try to reinstall it. One thing I noticed when I received the new one was that the original crank sensor (at least the one that I removed from the car) had a plastic washer and rubber o-ring on the sensor end that helped mate the sensor to the block but the new sensor I bought did not have such parts and when I tried to transfer the rings over, the new crank sensor would not fit properly. I can see how that would mess with spacing. I'll try to reinstall it and take pictures of what i mean, maybe this could be just enough difference to interrupt a signal.
Here is to hoping...
Old 04-03-2015, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, thanks for the link and bringing up the timing, I did consider this earlier in my process and looked over the belts. The belts look in great condition and the shop the car was in told me that they did verify proper timing on the car.
But, I guess I am still unsure what I can or can not trust from the shop.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Another thing to add is that my CEL does come on in the instrument cluster, it stays on during cranking, and stays on after cranking with the key still in the on position. I believe this is what it is suppose to do but if not please let me know.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

try pulling the codes now. grillage and xuno gil, do you think we are missing something small now?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Alright so here is a video of me trying to start the car, this shows what the tach does when I try to start it, one can see a little vibration but I don't know if this is what it is suppose to do.
Also, if you can look up the operation of the CEL and how it stays on, is this normal as well?

Please let me know what you all think, thanks.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, as recommended, I went and tried to run another blink test on the car and I can't get the think to activate anything and I have tried both of the ECMs I have. Right now I will try to and verify that I am doing it right, even though I am pretty sure I am, but when I did it last time the CEL started flashing and it flashed the 4444 code but now I can't get it to flash at all, any ideas on why?

Quick Reply: New member, saying hi and asking for help...