New owner: Audi 1994 Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner: Audi 1994 Cabrio

Picked up my first Audi today, a 1994 Cabriolet, and I have a few questions/need some direction. Let me preface that I am by no means a mechanic, but have owned a handful of euro classics both Mercedes and BMW. I picked this one up because I haven't seen many ever and want to make sure it has a good home.

About the car: 1 owner, 150k miles, some surface rust (all repairable) was garaged most of its life. Runs okay, drives straight, body its okay and the pearl white paint still shines.

Issues/need help with:

1) The radiator fans don't shut off after you turn off the car (will run indefinitely until I cut the battery). My diagnosis is either bad relays or a bad temp sensor.

2) Rear zip out window is trashed, thoughts on replacing this?

3) Where is a good place to source some good parts online?

4) What are common issues for this 2.8l V6 engine? What should I go through and replace...I have no records for this car. I want to so as much preventative maintenance as possible.

5) Rear shocks are shot, where do you recommend I go from aftermarket suspension (I would like to drop 0.5"-0.75" front and 0.75"-1" rear)

6) Can someone link me to a good online repair manual for this model.

7) Any other tid-bits or advice are welcome.

Thanks all!
Old 04-30-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

The fans staying on is likely the fan relay under the driver's side kick panel..do try and unplug the thermo fan switch in the radiator first and see if the fans stop..if not then try the relay..not sure on a 1994..but the relay is not in the fusebox under the hood on mine. I think it is relay #17..on the top row on the right. They do get sticky for some reason. Remove the kick panel with the fans running and try pulling the relay..#17 or #18..see if that stops the fans. The relay is not special..note the number on the top and look at the amps..should be a 40amp relay. VW-Audi asks a lot for the relay..shop around.

Replacing the rear window is a big task..better off just replacing the entire top. Rear window replacement is available if you want to try it. About $130+shipping from France. There should be a zipper under the glued in section unless a prior owner had a new window sewn in. see the link:AUDI 80 convertible rear screen (1992 - 2000) - Cristal Cabriolet

FCPEuro has been a good source for me..very good customer service. RockAuto is okay..be careful with the Cabriolet parts listed..some don't fit our cars.

The 2.8 is a very tough engine..oil leaks are not unusual..valve cover gaskets, oil pump housing bolts get loose and cam end plugs..very easy fixes. If you don't know when the timing belt was last changed..plan on changing it with the water pump and pulley/tensioners. Plan on changing the coolant too. If your heater is working that is a good sign the coolant is in good shape. Coolant gets changed with the timing belt/water pump. Service the transmission..change the transmission filter and restore the correct ATF level with Pentosin ATF1..available at Amazon. The transmissions were known to be fragile..probably because of the "lifetime fill..no service needed" advice from Audi. They would die at about 120K miles if not serviced.

If your heater or A/C is not working well..it could be the flaps in the climate control box have lost the padding and do not blend heat or A/C as they should..when they are shot this is what they look like. Sorry the dash has to come out, heater/A/C box removed and all the flaps must be re-covered with heat resistant tape.

If the heater is not working it is because the coolant has nor been changed often enough..rust forms very fast in the 2.8 engine block and plugs the heater core..Behr heater cores have a swirl turbine insert in the heater core which plugs up very easily.

I replace them with a Nissens heater core...

Don't really know about the shocks..try FCPeuro..and be careful if you lower the car..you can wipe the catalytic converters/exhaust from under the car..there is not much clearance from the road.

Look for a deal on the Cabriolet B4 Bentley manual online. I got mine off eBay as a close-out for about $80.

Best advise is to service the car completely..change the brake fluid..coolant..oil..ATF...and the belts..look for any weird repair work and check the front "A" arms rubber bushings..they are often shot and need replacing..you will need a press or very big bench vice to install new ones. Not a tough job though..

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 04-30-2015 at 05:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brian980 (03-23-2021)
Old 04-30-2015, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

FCPEuro has the Bentley for $75 and free shipping.https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...cabriolet-ab35
Old 04-30-2015, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wellcome AW and an ownership of a fun car that will suck all your money out of you ))
j/k. everything Rusty has mentioned is correct. I would start with changing, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, flushing the brakes, thats the cheap and easy stuff. then a trans filter and fluid. after that t-belt+pump+thermostat is a must!!!! these are interference engines and will bend valves if the t-belt brakes. while you are there, replace the front oil seals on cams and crank. and might as well do valve covers gaskets and rear cam seal on one side and a cam plug on the other. this will take care of main problems. all this stuff is not hard, but does require time and a specialty tool for the t-belt change. This might help 12v Pages - Maintenance
heater core, you might be just able to flush it out with a garden hose, but don't get your hopes up on that.
what color is your coolant?
got a picture of the rear window? you might be lucky and someone integrated a zipper in there. if that is the case, take it to an upholstery shop, or a place that handles convertible tops
when it comes to lowering your car... well... its a PITA, front shocks on all B4 frames are the same, but the rear end Audi went to town with the FWD 90 has one set of shocks on the rear, quattro shares the same shocks as an early A4 and cab is in a world of its own... tirerack has some Bilstein Touring Class shocks, which will work with stock springs, but are not designed for lowering springs. if you want to lower the car, you'll most likely have to order springs and shocks from europe (someone please correct me if im wrong here) also i might have a friend that may still have a set of springs that he ordered for his cab and did not use. He ended up getting a set of coilovers from 2bennett instead.

as Rusty has mentioned, check the a-arm bushing, also check the trans mounts and front shock mounts. if you dont mind a slight increase in road noise, get a set of a-arm bushings and mounts from 034motorsport, a bit expensive, but i like them.
for most of my parts, i use Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips and i stock up on oil filters from them as well
anyways, this should keep you occupied for a while
Old 05-01-2015, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome! I'm in Cincinnati too and have had a couple of these cars. I have a bunch of parts lying around as well. Where did you get yours?
Old 05-01-2015, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wellcome to the Audi cabriolet club. In Ohio somehow there are most cabriolets than all other states
If you need brakes - look at rockauto - they have the OEM Brembo rotors which are not bad at all with the right pads and new brake fluid
Those are the easy stuff comparing to some other strange things that "Gunter"and "Scwanz" prepared for you haha

For the heater core - Most likely you need to fix the heater box too. New heater radiator only will not be enough. I purchase BEHR oem radiator from Europe, because I trust behr products much more than any othere for some reason. For example my car was south florida car and the heater button has never even been touched so imagine turning the heater on once every few years and the original heater core was not bad at all.

Rear shocks - buy either SASCH or Boge, which are even better.

This guy grillage is your local sorce of knowledge if you need something he is the one

Post some pictures if you can.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Gag4o is right about the rotors, BREMBO Part # 09572410 high carbon new at $15 each..only four left now.

Bought the Brembo rotors last year..front and rear...installed the front rotors and pads...the rears are still waiting for the pads to get worn out in the back. The rear rotors are BREMBO Part # 25112..$11 each!

Doucy2..we need some pictures of your new Cabriolet.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for you feedback

Rusty: Thanks for your advice on the fan I'm going to pickup some new relays and a coolant temp sensor as well...hopefully that will solve the issue. My rear window has some type of zip in, so I am going to see what a local shop can do to sew something up. As for the state of my engine it is not leaking anything thankfully. I have yet to se how well the heat/ac work at this point.

Crazy: Thanks for the advice on what maintenance to all do. Oil, plugs, battery are already done and I plan to do fuel filter, t-belt, water pump, coolant flush, air filter, tranny filter and fluid. Do you have any more info on the coil-overs you mentioned?

Grillage: Love the Cincinnati area, I may be looking for some odds and ends once I get this thing in more reliable condition. Picked mine up in Springfield, OH where I work (car is currently there, will bring it down in a weekend or two).

Gag4o: Appreciate the heads up on rotors, thats too good of a deal to pass up.

All: Pictures will be up in the original post shortly.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Guess I can't edit an existing post yet.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

got an update from my friend.
eibach e1518-240. 20 mm drop. Fit only cabriolets. 350 + shipping. Brand new in box
if your interested, let me know and ill get you in touch with my friend.
car looks good man, keep it up, you might be able to get a new top from europe, from what i know, they are not that expensive... or google some info on repairing that hole, there is got to be a way
p.s. when are you converting it to a manual? :-D

Quick Reply: New owner: Audi 1994 Cabrio