now - is my ignition switch bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default now - is my ignition switch bad?

Obviously something's wrong - tonight when i went to start it, they key isn't feeling 'clicky' in the different positions as usual, can't seem to get 'far enough' to turn car over (just dask warning lights. etc. on, no 'spring' area as when turning a car over), then can't get back far enough to turn the dash lights off without a lot of jiggling the key, swearing, etc. The key does seem to be actually turning the same degrees as before more or less, so guessing something's wonky in there and all the parts aren't moving correctly...

One add'l bit - the steering lock /usually/ never works (which is great when I can turn the car off and coast!), but sometimes does - don't know if this matters or not.

A fast web search indicated there's a sort of little arm on the switch that breaks, or the like.

Anyway, asking best pre-advice, etc. since it's stuck at the local U. so either I'll have to fix it enough there to get home, or tow to garage (in Fairbanks, Alaska, they don't like anything but subarus and american mega-trucks, so another problem there...). Is there a fast 'screwdriver' method to use to get it home without needing to replace stuff immediately? What's the best source of this / these parts?

Geez, you pay like $1500 for a car that's only 25 years old and stuff /still/ goes wrong, geez!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

sounds like a ign switch, you might be able to pull the electrical portion out and use a flat head screwdriver, but most likely go to your local dealer or a VW parts store (dealer should have one in stock) or autohaus az
Old 04-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, thanks again. Ordered the oem switch for ~$35 (one dealer in state, not in stock). Seems easy enough... Hopefully'll get here and I can fix before the local U gets tired of my car there without paid parking sticker...