Put the key in and nothing

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put the key in and nothing

I tried to start my 98 Cab ...... Nothing BUT THE REMOTE START WILL START THE CAR .... I know I have read about issues with the switch .....
Please has anyone had this issue, if so let me know
Old 01-27-2015, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

If you mean remote start you are powering up the 50 terminal on the starter to get the engine to start, then a bad ignition switch would be the prime suspect.

If you mean by remote start you are using jumper cables connected to the battery..then a bad battery, bad ground or cables.

Let us know
Old 01-27-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just the remote start that works with the car alarm ....I was thinking about the ignition switch, is there a way to test it. When I did the heater core I thought about changing it ( something I read somewhere ) ... I hunk its dead
Old 01-27-2015, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Don't think the Cabriolet came stock with remote starting

The remote start must be an add on feature with an aftermarket alarm system..that could be the problem..if the alarm system is energized your car wont start..and maybe the remote start feature kicks the alarm system OFF and away you go.

See if you can find the original paperwork on your remote starter system or Google it.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

lock and unlock your car with the key, nothing else. if that doesnt solve it, get a new ignition switch.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default ignition wiring/barrel

Had the same and tore into ignition barrel finding a burnt wire. The headlights have no relay but do have a wire through barrel that is carrying max load prior to windows or snrf or any accessory. Add more load and wire(s) go crisp then have little continuity melting as heat builds. After replacing the wire everything worked as expected and I went a bit too brave. New plugs, gapped em, put them in, put coils back on and #2 cylinder no longer fired. It is simple enough to get barrel out and back in steering column ignition spot. Take pics with phone so you are able to see what the wires are doing and where they go. Supposedly it isn't too hard to rewire headlights with relay at firewall AFTER ignition switch lights up the circuit. At this point I'm lost Good luck and once found the reason it was done that way usually becomes clear. Then the other times I swear a bit at Engineering a la Deutschlander.