Ross in Santa Rosa California (Where to Buy Factory Manual?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ross in Santa Rosa California (Where to Buy Factory Manual?)

Hello Fellow Audi 90 Owners,
I am new to this forum but I figured I would throw an introduction out there. This appeared to be the best forum to sign up for because AudiWorld has a category for this vehicle specifically. This is my first Audi and my first Euro car.

I have become familiar with rx7club forums because I was able to make my 1990 Mazda RX7 S5 to pass California emissions tests. It was a very difficult and challenging task. I had never worked on Rotary Engines before. Now that I have, I feel much more comfortable working on/under cars. I felt so comfortable with working on cars I took up an offer to volunteer time as a mechanic to gain experience.

I worked as a "Free Mechanic" for a auction style dealership over the summer of 2014. At the end of 2 months of working 6 days a week for 8 hours a day and only getting reimbursed for gas, I asked the owner if he could sell me a car for around $100-$300. He pointed out this Audi. I didn't think much of it because my heart was more set on a Manual Transmission newer style Audi or even a newer style VW Jetta. After I quit working, I came back to the dealership 3 months later and asked the owner if the offer still stood for $300. I had done searching for a car and quickly realized if I ever wanted a second car, for $300 I would take what I could get.

Long story short, I bought this car to replace my RX7 as a daily driver because a RX7 is not a suitable daily driver (14 MPG average and loud). This is my first day of owning this Audi 90 and I know barely anything about this German Engineered car.

My first question is where to get the best manual specifically for this vehicle. My Honda Civic Factory Service Manual copy cost me $150 on ebay. The RX7 was a PDF free online. I don't mind saving up and paying extra for a complete coverage manual for this specific car. My RX7 Factory Service Manual has taught me that it is better to have a reference of every individual part and its placement rather than have instructions for only removing and replacing components. As a mechanic I learned to not use manuals but I still find them very useful for my own vehicles so that the job is easier to find part replacements, rebuild components, discover missing non-crucial parts, and diagnose problems.

Thank You for this Awesome Forum,
Ross
Old 11-04-2014, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

welcome to the team and Bentley Publishers Home - Bentley Publishers - Repair Manuals and Automotive Books
Old 11-05-2014, 02:18 PM
x19
AudiWorld Member

Hi, welcome to forums and which one do you have ? v6 ,10 valves or 20.
I'm driving 10 valves engine(1990) with A/T 249,500 miles and running good because, I 'm using the "Engine OIL cleaning device which remove the "debris" in circulate oil all the time. Enjoy with AUDI. x19 from Los Angeles
Old 11-07-2014, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Welcome. What year is your car? This forum covers a number of models. So if you could tell us the year, the number of cylinders and if its "quattro" we could help you out even more
Old 11-08-2014, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

check his sigg at the bottom
Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My Audi is the 4dr (Also my first 4dr) 1995 90 Quattro v6 12v. I was poking around and familiarizing myself with the engine bay whilst letting the battery charge. It seems as if I do not have Pressure Control Valve breather hoses that are fully sealed. I am planning on just using the end pieces and putting silicone hoses between the two points.

I am just hoping this takes care of the check engine light which I cannot check the codes because of the high cost of the OBD 1 reader. It seems as if I allow the car to idle for 3-5 minutes the check engine light turns on. But if I drive the car across the city, the check engine light sometimes will stay unlit.

I must pass California emissions test soon. I recall the stations cannot put the AWD cars on rollers to test the full range of emissions output so AWD cars are only tested for idle output. but I just hope it passes after I burn a half tank and replace the oil/filter and fuel filter. Hopefully, I won't have to resort to the ethanol treatment to get the car to pass.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

this may help you with figuring out what causes your check engine light 12v Pages - Maintenance
where in california are you?
ps. just answered my own question if you are ever in reno, i have a scanner

Last edited by CRAZY_RUSSIAN; 11-09-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default FAILED SMOG S_O_S_

I am checking in to keep you fine ladies and gentlemen updated on my quest to have a fully functional Audi 90 Sport Quattro 2.8L v6.

I took AnnaNina in to smog because the check engine light turns off now whilst driving. I was feeling very confident because I had just changed her oil to 10w-30 (Conventional Castrol GTX).

I installed a brand NEW Interstate battery which was intended for use in AnnaNina.

I installed new wiper blades and was thrilled that when I lost the driver side wiper arm in high wind/heavy rain, just a bolt needed to be tightened.

I emptied 4 quarts of oil in her because a friend recommended going a quart lower to get the bad oil out of the top of the engine (He didn't explain well). also I think the dealership may have used synthetic (which I despise).

I installed a new oil filter on her that was up to spec from the longer filter that was on her before.

I found a couple PCV breather hoses on a B4 at Pick N Pull in Windsor a month ago and had installed them.

After all that and driving her around with insurance but unregistered, I paid $45 for a Smog guy to tell me that she has no Catalytic Converters and is blowing blue smoke.

The Smog fellow said "There may be a problem with the valve seals or the rings." Any information anyone could provide on how to do a by-the-book cylinder pressure test would be appreciated (Photos are a blessing)

I am going to a mobile mechanics place that I found on craigslist tomorrow to get catalytic converters installed for $230. Otherwise, the cost will be $500 to get it done in a more professional manner with proper catalytic converters.

I do have a very important question: How terrible is driving the car around without catalytic converters on? I ask this because I am considering uninstalling them until I need to smog AnnaNina again and I have heard of the catalytic converters getting plugged up.